Fx sho engine assembly

I blew of my engine last year, the crankshaft grinded on the main bearing beds and haven't worked on it since. Im looking for a build engine assembly without accesories just the engine block wondering if someone here can point me in the right direction as to where i can find one otherwise ill have to build the engine myself. This yamaha fx sho is a tried a tested machine never gave any trouble and always kept it stock for reliability. I would really apreciate any help since id love to see it in the water again.

+1
    how did you blow the motor? Esp if the ski was stock?

Thats actually a good question, it was running fine until it didnt't even start. When i opened the engine saw all the pistons on one side grinding on the cylinders and the crankshaft grinding in the main bearing beds.

+1
    Is there a propblem with the thrust bearings on this motor because last year I had the same experience but was on a modified FZR though.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterholics View Post
    Is there a propblem with the thrust bearings on this motor because last year I had the same experience but was on a modified FZR though.
    The problem is the lack off thrust bearings. Just a machined face in the center of the block with oil grooves. No replaceable bearings. When the jet pump or intermediate bearing fail they can put pressure on the the back of the crank and cause wear on the crank/block thrust surfaces. Misaligned engine mounting could also cause issues.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug78 View Post
    The problem is the lack off thrust bearings. Just a machined face in the center of the block with oil grooves. No replaceable bearings. When the jet pump or intermediate bearing fail they can put pressure on the the back of the crank and cause wear on the crank/block thrust surfaces. Misaligned engine mounting could also cause issues.
    So is there anyway we could prevent this from happening again ?

asides from paying attention to your ski and keeping up on your maintenance. Thee really isn't a lot you can do. I had some where in the thrust surfaces, but nothing unusual. Pump bearings had gone twice on mine and I caught it right way.
    Make sure to follow the service manual when aligning the engine.

+1
    asides from paying attention to your ski and keeping up on your maintenance. Thee really isn't a lot you can do. I had some where in the thrust surfaces, but nothing unusual. Pump bearings had gone twice on mine and I caught it right way.
    Make sure to follow the service manual when aligning the engine.
    My engine went right after I installed a RIVA pump with new bearings. I suspect my mechanic installed the bearings incorrectly as I saw him press them, in and not heat the housing and freeze the bearings, as I later found out that this was the correct way for installing bearings. I had a RIVA technician install new bearings in the pump, so hopefully it doesn't happen again on my new engine.

+1
    Just food for thought. Can the older spacers (pre 2010) contribute to this problem. When I installed the pump I re-used the 2009 spacer and just wondering if that could have caused this.

The spacers where crushing the seals in the pump IIRC. They just affect where the impeller sits on the shaft, nothing more. If the bearing assembly was not seated all the way in the housing it would cause pressure up the driveline. Sure stinks up the house when i cook that stator in the oven.

Thread Information