Any one doing this kind of riding?

New to the forum. Not to PWC's. Up here in Alaska we put them to the test. Recently ran into an aluminum jet ski made here in Alaska, with an exorbant price tag, I've taken up the job of being their worst critic. The general public has no idea what a fiberglass hulled PWC can do anyway. Check them out. Alumaski, they are supposedly creating a new sport... That they didn't know already existed. Check out the clip, share away.

+1
    HAHA All fun and games till someone caves in their hull!
    We do side creek runs here in Australia with very similar surroundings minus the ice...theres no way we would attempt to take on a half submerged Gumtree, It would be game over very quickly plus we got the sharks crocs snakes and jelly fish
    Hats off to these boys

Quote Originally Posted by SLAP~YA View Post
    HAHA All fun and games till someone caves in their hull!
    We do side creek runs here in Australia with very similar surroundings minus the ice...theres no way we would attempt to take on a half submerged Gumtree, It would be game over very quickly plus we got the sharks crocs snakes and jelly fish
    Hats off to these boys

Right after the ice goes out in may is usually one of the funest times to run the rivers and sloughs. 6 years and counting and no one in our group has caved in a hull yet. Been a couple fiberglass patch jobs, lots of impellers and parts. Riding in circles on a lake gets old. We still do that too.

+1
    I think my 8 year old grandson could of done a better job editing.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidooseadoo83 View Post
    ... an aluminum jet ski made here in Alaska, with an exorbant price tag, I've taken up the job of being their worst critic...
    You disagree with the price they must charge to make the product at a profit?

For some market segments a purpose made hull may be preferable or even necessary. Think of rescue services, enforcement and protection services. Not just for rivers but also for shallow shorelines and rocky inshore areas. Seadoo sells a specially built SAR version, for example.

Joyriding older model PWC in shallow rivers is not the only reason for robust shallow water capability.

6. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... an aluminum jet ski made here in Alaska, with an exorbant price tag, I've taken up the job of being their worst critic...
    You disagree with the price they must charge to make the product at a profit?

For some market segments a purpose made hull may be preferable or even necessary. Think of rescue services, enforcement and protection services. Not just for rivers but also for shallow shorelines and rocky inshore areas. Seadoo sells a specially built SAR version, for example.

Joyriding older model PWC in shallow rivers is not the only reason for robust shallow water capability.
    No I don't disagree with them making a profit, I disagree with their marketing identifying themselves and I quote as "forging the way in a new SPORT." I disagree with the fact that for 30 grand you can already buy a boat that in an emergency situation as you are talking about can do ten times what their thing can do. We use IMT and I'm a infantry vet, pretty cognizant of what those other "market segments" your talking about are looking for. Example, we use jet boats and air boats in oil spill response. You want a shallow response craft that can drive right up on shore? Get yourself an air boat and haul 6 people and a couple thousand pounds of gear. All puffy chested about how innovative their aluminum hull is and say that nothing else can touch it, it can go places others can't...I think not. And I mostly disagree with the fact that Joe Schmoe doesn't know that for 30 grand he could buy 4 Vx's that weight 350 lbs less then their tank of a PWC and do everything it does, but he watches their video and is ready to fork out 30k. ill stick to filming our "older model" joyriding and putting their alumaski, for recreational purposes, to shame.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    ... Joe Schmoe doesn't know ...
    You may want to give Joe more credit. He may be able to investigate and decide for himself if there is value in the product for his purposes.

Sometimes there is value (for the buyer) in simply owning something that is unusual or rare or just different.

If there are buyers for the product at that price level, then perhaps the company does have a product worth buying, at least for those buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ... Joe Schmoe doesn't know ...
    You may want to give Joe more credit. He may be able to investigate and decide for himself if there is value in the product for his purposes.

Sometimes there is value (for the buyer) in simply owning something that is unusual or rare or just different.

If there are buyers for the product at that price level, then perhaps the company does have a product worth buying, at least for those buyers.
    Very much agree. Just want to make sure that "joe knows nothing about PWC," knows what a normal SMC hull is capable of, that's all. In joes investigations, he might be a little short on videos like the one above.... Joe might also be ignorant to the fact he is buying a transplanted 1052 cc yamaha engine and pump, complete with handlebars, gauge, and seat. Thanks for the innovation yamaha. Their product has value, I just hope their business model accounted for it having 20 grand value of benificial upgrades over the already available mostly unknown capabilities (in regards to any kind of shallow water travel in a river) of already enginered, tried, tested, and true products, not to mention jet boats, air boats, RIB's etc etc.

Thread Information