Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Problems with STX 12f

Hello GH, I have few problems with my ski if anyone has some insight it will be much appreciated.

Did a fresh rebuild after buying a ski with 70 hours.

Took it out for a test run and after riding for 10 minutes or so, the heat beep came on so I shut it off and let the beeper go away. Once the beeper went away (5 min or so), I started it and rode around for another 5 to 10 minutes before the heat beeper came on again.

The pisser would piss out really hot water at mid-full throttle. At idle jet ski runs at 1k-1.1k rpms. Normal? Also at idle, there is no water comming out of the pisser. After getting the heat code and stopping, I could see steam coming out of the pissee but no water.

Another problem is that the ski only goes up to 6500 rpms which I dont think is normal after reading other threads. New NGK C9EK spark plugs. Fresh premium 91 fuel.

Any help is appreciated.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    If you do some quick searches you'll find a few threads related to that series of pwc having problems delivering sufficient cooling water, which seems to be your issue. Something with the right angle fittings in the rear of the hull if I recall. You'll want to start off by some serious backflushing from the hose connection under the hood. make sure the engine is on before you start the water. Limit this to no more then 5 minutes at a time. Collect the drain water to check for any sand that may have come out. Stop the engine only AFTER shutting the water off.

There is a screen over the water outlut for cooling in the jetpump..might want to start there.

I would not worry about top speeds Until you get this cooling issue resolved. Those are expensive motors, try not to overheat them too many times.

Thank you for your reply. The screen under the jet ski is clear. Is this where the screen is?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424274668885.png 
Views:	97 
Size:	710.4 KB 
ID:	351746

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    yes, that was the intake screen, which when blocked, can really cut the flow of water to a trickle.

hose flush is next on the list.

check that the "pisser" is clear and blowing some compressed air in there certainly won't hurt.

locate the pump water outlet hoses and mark them, next time you have the ski in water you want to start the engine for a moment with that hose disconnected to check the water flow. The pump will push a considerable amount of water thru the engine, if it's overheating, it HAS to be restricted somewhere.

don't forget to check other posts, you don't want to melt an exhaust hose. I recall a number of discussions on this particular bit.

So just pull off the output houses on the water over the side and water should be coming out?

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Go through all the connections, odds are its either the ones at the output shaft, under the intake manifold, or the one one the waterbox.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Go through all the connections, odds are its either the ones at the output shaft, under the intake manifold, or the one one the waterbox.

Sean
    Why would it be the outputs if it looks like those only attach to the bilge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424298583424.png 
Views:	85 
Size:	370.7 KB 
ID:	351783

My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Output shaft of the motor.

Sean

Ah.

Well Ive rechecked all my lines and it appears I have not connected them right the first time. Wondering if that is what also caused the rpms to not go higher than 6500.

Red is how i had it attached. I feel like a complete noob.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1424301915030.png 
Views:	272 
Size:	931.6 KB 
ID:	351796

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information