Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Cool So, Lovell and I delivered some trees.

We got a new customer at work: a tree farm. So for the next month or so I'll be delivering oak trees. Here are some pics of the place Lovell and I went to in Texas. It's 75 or 80 acre ranch. It already has quite a few oaks, but a bunch of them died during the drought. So, they're getting some new ones that are 8-12 years old.

Here's what they look like during transit using my truck and a rental trailer:

You may have noticed that we have to lay them down to transport them. Here is how we upright them once we get where we're going:

Here's what they look like on the ground:

The ranch house:

+1
    That's pretty cool. I thought the root ball would be a lot bigger.

+1
    Nice!

+1
    Those are some nice oaks.
    It's kinda funny it seems like everybody I know who doesn't have oak trees wants them, and everybody who has them wants to get rid of them.

+1
    I just want his garage.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by infamous View Post
    That's pretty cool. I thought the root ball would be a lot bigger.
    Well, I learned a little sump'n sump'n from the guy from the tree farm: They start them off in like 3 gallon pots, move up to 6 gallon, up and up and up until they get to the 600 gallon pots you see here.

+1
    Someone has money to waste on oak trees! WOW

+1
    Here in Florida you can dig up a pretty big Laurel oak and transplant it 'bare root' in February and it will live. I would have never believed this, but I was told this by a good friend of mine who owned a nursery and so I tried it and it works. I have actually dug up 15-20 ft tall wild oak trees with up to 8 inch caliper trunk, BARE ROOT (meaning not an ounce of soil on the root ball) and moved them into my yard and planted them -- and they not only survive but they have doubled in size.

The trick is, you have to do it in Feb when they are still dormant, and you have to keep the soil and roots constantly wet for about 30 days. I just put a bubbler on the base of the trunk and let it trickle 24 hrs a day, and supplement with daily full watering. In about 30 days the new leaves will bud out and it's like the tree never knew what happened.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by oklagp1200r View Post
    Someone has money to waste on oak trees! WOW
    These can cost anywhere from $8,000 to $12,000 each depending on size/age. Now, this guy bought 11. The next job is 29 trees we're bringing to a 16,000 square foot mansion in Alabama. I'll be sure to put up some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by YoYamma View Post
    Here in Florida you can dig up a pretty big Laurel oak and transplant it 'bare root' in February and it will live. I would have never believed this, but I was told this by a good friend of mine who owned a nursery and so I tried it and it works. I have actually dug up 15-20 ft tall wild oak trees with up to 8 inch caliper trunk, BARE ROOT (meaning not an ounce of soil on the root ball) and moved them into my yard and planted them -- and they not only survive but they have doubled in size.

The trick is, you have to do it in Feb when they are still dormant, and you have to keep the soil and roots constantly wet for about 30 days. I just put a bubbler on the base of the trunk and let it trickle 24 hrs a day, and supplement with daily full watering. In about 30 days the new leaves will bud out and it's like the tree never knew what happened.
    The guy was saying that growing them in the pots is better because if you dig 'em up later, it takes the tree 3-4 years to recover.

+1
    Went back to pick up the equipment and these guys were eye-balling me!

Big auger for the bigger trees and small auger for the smaller ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information