Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

02 gpr1200 no power

Hi there every one new to forum looking to pin point a problem with my 02 gpr1200 in my mind is either carb related or possibly reed related. Trying to look for some help in the right direction since i am personally not a 2 stroke guy but I am a car mechanic so I already ran a compression test have 115-120 in all cylinders.I purchased a gpr1200 have had it for 2 years I have luckily had not a single hiccup till now. I was pretty much wide open throttle chasing a boat doing about 60 when Iím pretty sure one of the oil lights came on pretty sure just the oil injection light. And then the ski died completely for about 30 seconds then started and it would only idle. I was far out and can basically hold it wide open and it will not go faster than pretty much idling. However I was pretty far out so every time I got thrown out of the water it revved up and would gain speed. And I did this then finally have it up 20 15mph? This is why I think it carb related because under no load it revs up fine. On the dock it revs and runs fine other than seeming harder to start. I figured I ran it way low on oil in the injection and it killed it so I tested compressions seemed good topped everything off and still doing the same thing. The only mod I know of on the ski is what looks like a d plate and the 02 sensor is cut and tied away. Only other thing I have read is check the prop but most say it should be making a weird noise. Only thing I notice is it runs fine at idle then basically shakes a little bit like its missing but I checked looks like I have good spark somebody point me to the right direction of where I should start looking first. only idles no power anywhere else (powervalve)?

+1
    First thing I would do is pull the fuel pickup from the tank. At the bottom end, there is a trap door. It is made of thin plastic that warps easily and gets stuck. If it's warped, just remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy_steven View Post
    First thing I would do is pull the fuel pickup from the tank. At the bottom end, there is a trap door. It is made of thin plastic that warps easily and gets stuck. If it's warped, just remove it.
    ok will take a peek at it but curious why could i rev it out of water and have full revs? on LI aswell btw

+1
    no load on the motor when its out of the water

5. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crfrider View Post
    ok will take a peek at it but curious why could i rev it out of water and have full revs? on LI aswell btw
    What he said... takes a lot more fuel to rev a motor when it's actually moving the ski.

Also, if you're having that problem in the water today, there's a good chance you're just stuck in ice!

Quote Originally Posted by crfrider View Post
    What he said... takes a lot more fuel to rev a motor when it's actually moving the ski.

Also, if you're having that problem in the water today, there's a good chance you're just stuck in ice!
    Lol nah just wana start getting it fixed hahaha Worth trying I guess

Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    no load on the motor when its out of the water
    Thats what made me think carbs just not familiar with these fuel systems every 2 stroke I've ever owned had just a petcock and 2 lines. Not familiar with skis whatsoever carb for cars yea.... Fuel pressure is everything so that kind of skipped my mind lol

+1
    My first thoughts when reading your explanation was that you stuck a piston- but you said compression is fine.

Also an oil line may have come off the carb and damaged a piston or crank, but once again, this would effect compression.

Fuel restriction, either the flapper door as previously mentioned, or filter(s) inside the carbs, or even a bad fuel selector switch.

Lost a powervalve (broken or dropped), or a servo motor stuck in open position

+1
    Just a thought.Have you been using ethanol tainted fuel?

Quote Originally Posted by dockwalker View Post
    Just a thought.Have you been using ethanol tainted fuel?
    Yea considering I have been going to the local fuel dock using 91 from shell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information