Honest opinions on the Most relaible current models

Hey everyone. I would Like to know what kind of issues everyone has with the modern watercraft. I have knowledge and experience with Sea-Doo PWC. I am interested to see what experiences others have had with Sea-Doo, Yamaha, and Kawasaki. I am mostly interested in lower HP, entry level models.

I will start. 2011 SEADOO GTS and GTI-SE (all are 130HP)
    - 1x Complete engine failure
    - 3x OTAS Defective (dealer cannot fix this and it occures on all 3 of my 2011 machines.)
    - 1x Defective key post (would not register that the key was installed)
    - 1x Defective fuel sensor (fuel gauge does not work)
    - 3x Defective seats (seats turned pink when exposed to water)
    please note that all 3 of my PWC have LESS than 100 hours.

I really just want to know if there is something out there that will cost me less to fix and have less downtime?

Thanks everyone! I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

+1
    Hello Drummerdarwin, I am sure you like all the bells & whistles that come with the Seadoo skis. However, if reliability is reallt the one most important feature you are looking for .... then go check out Yamaha VXs or VXr series. No turbo or S/C to mess with very solid ride platform and as everyone can attest the most reliable trouble-free ski on the market

Thanks for the suggestion OzarkYamMonster. We Run a small family based marine rental company, so downtime is money. We have replaced a few jet pumps, some bumpers, a mirror, some fiberglass work....These repairs I would expect. Check engine lights, sensor failures and other features failing are unacceptable. Especially this frequently. I will also add that we operate on fresh water only. I am very interested in the Yamaha machines. They seem to be more expensive, and have less warranty. (SEADOO does not honor the warranty anyways so i would be in the same boat there.) The other issue is we do not have a yamaha dealer close by, which will not be a problem if they aren't always malfunctioning. Have you heard of any issues with the Yamaha PWC?

Thanks again for the input!

+1
    There is a reason that 95% of the PWC rental fleets use the Yamaha VX. Reliability and low maintenance. The VX is probably the most dependable and low maintenance ski ever produced.

This thread makes my head hurt. How could i even come close to summing up a decade worth of "shit breaking" in an online thread like this??

i have stacks of service records and memories of just about each and every part breaking you can imagine, and none of it could be forewarned or even explained

You cant predict what people will break nor how a machine will act through the course of its life. Vx skis or not.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kwtony View Post
    This thread makes my head hurt. How could i even come close to summing up a decade worth of "shit breaking" in an online thread like this??

i have stacks of service records and memories of just about each and every part breaking you can imagine, and none of it could be forewarned or even explained

You cant predict what people will break nor how a machine will act through the course of its life. Vx skis or not.
    What does your fleet consist of and why?

Ive been wrenching on most vx skis in the 10 years here in the keys from high volume fleets to my mom and pop rental we have now.. i side work for a 53 ski fleet company in key west and cant even begin to explain the kind of things that go on in a company like that, Ive forgotten more scenarios and situations that could ever be explained in a thread. No matter how many hours i(or anyone could) spent typing away.

This is like asking a mechanic, what breaks on a car..any car...pick a car... This is a question that just cant be answered. While i understand, and admire, trying to having this kind of outlook is simply a waste of time. You have to wait till something breaks and just fix it. The vx skis are incredibly reliable, but only when everything is working and maintained properly. learning how to maintain instead of scouring threads online to figure out what could happen in the future is a much better way to spend your time. Preventative repairs are almost twice as important, and only time will teach you these.
    Last edited by kwtony; 02-22-2015 at 08:44 AM.

9. +1 by:

The best way to start a company off is with fresh new skis, or having a very fast a reliable in house mechanic. The only reason we have stayed alive is because I only need to send out 1% of things to get fixed. Otherwise, there is no way we could have stayed alive. My partner knows everything about the legal and financial aspect and between the two of us, we are pretty much unstoppable.

If you have new skis, you can pretty much rest assured that they will start every time for the first year without any issues. Usually when i say a year, this includes anywhere from 4-600 hr of time on the engine as well with only needing pump bearings two oil changes, a set of plugs and maybe a battery.

The biggest and best company in our area cycles out skis once a year. Not only does it keep the skis fresh, but it also gives you a better chance to make some money back on a ski that doesn't have 1000 hours on it. They have nearly no break downs as a result. When you drive skis to the ground, you make your money on them, but it requires you to pull 60-100k from your pocket, to get a new fleet of skis. Because you have to practically give them away, or ship them overseas. Where as selling a mildly used fleet of skis, will give you a big chunk to start with.

For small companies, white vx skis are easy to repair and paint, will take a beating, and beg for more every single day.

I think we will be trying Yamaha For our next fleet. I have no problem replacing jet pumps and any parts that would expect failure.
    Its the electronic parts that we cannot work on. And things that should be covered under a warranty. We currently use only premium synthetic oil, and we treat all of our fuel to fight ethanol. If we sell our skis every year and replace them we wont make any money as we only get about 3 months in our season here. We previously owned 2006 model seadoos with over 500 hours each, but we cant even get the 2011 models near 100 hours without electrical problems.

Thread Information