+1

Found damage on my hull

I'm really unsure how this happened. We pulled it out of the garage today, washed it and were waxing it to get ready for this year. While waxing we found the damage. We rode it a lot last season (47 hours) but I'm overly cautious, never beach it, never ride near shallow areas, rarely ever anchored it near land and if I did it was waist deep, I normally would jump off the ski and pull it onto the trailer but did drive it up on there a few times. I've never felt the ski hit anything while riding and my wife and I have been the only riders for the 10 months we've owned it. We called the dealer that services it and winterized it but they never took it off the trailer. It doesnt appear to have damaged the actual fiberglass just the plastic(?) coating.

Could a rock have hit this while in tow? The way the damage lines up with the carpeted pads on the trailer I'm thinking the damage was caused by hitting them. Anyone have an idea how much damage like this costs to repair?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0996.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	351986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0998.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	351987

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Hey what year and model ski sir....

+1
    It's a 2014 GTI 130. The gash is about 4 inches long by .7 inches wide at the worst spot.

+1
    I've seen it happen many times, almost always on those raised areas of the hull. Now that the area is dried out, I'd just hit it with some of the Rapid Set Marine Tex and move on.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SCHNORR12 View Post
    I've seen it happen many times, almost always on those raised areas of the hull. Now that the area is dried out, I'd just hit it with some of the Rapid Set Marine Tex and move on.
    Well that makes me feel better. My dad saw it, who has had boats for 30 years, and shit his pants. He also owns the jet ski and I just get to keep it haha. He thought the damage was running all down the hull from the picture. I'm not terribly handy so we might see what a pro would charge to fix it and if its over $250 we'll just have insurance pay for it. If it was solely mine I'd try and do it myself but my parents are willing to pay to get it done. This comes at a bad time, we have put money down on a new GTI SE for a second one that I will be paying for, hopefully this does happen to often hah.

+1
    Did you take the ski back to the dealer I not sure if it is a fault but you will still be under warranty ?

+1
    It looks like while riding you hit the end of a board that had a nail sticking out, very common, don't sweat it, like SCNORR12 said a little touch up and forget it, You will have many many more in the future. The bottom of my ski looks terrible, 520 hours on it.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wally43 View Post
    Did you take the ski back to the dealer I not sure if it is a fault but you will still be under warranty ?
    We called them and emailed them the picture. I don't think its covered under warranty, he referred me to a body work guy outside of their dealership.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff2 View Post
    It looks like while riding you hit the end of a board that had a nail sticking out, very common, don't sweat it, like SCNORR12 said a little touch up and forget it, You will have many many more in the future. The bottom of my ski looks terrible, 520 hours on it.
    I saw a video of a guy repairing his and was pretty pleased with the fact you can't see it without really looking. I was initially worried it could alter the ride of it but it doesnt seem like it will.

Work: GTA ------------ ----------------- Play: Georgian Bay
    +1
    When I picked my PWC up I noticed a similar mark on the keel near the bow. I was pissed that the dealer let it go like that and also pissed that I picked it up without checking directly under it, but it was a new unit. I was about 8 hours from the original dealer when I saw it so I paid out of pocket to fix it vs driving it back and losing time during the season. Mine was about the size of a dime, ended up costing me $250 CAD. The repair is absolutely flawless. PM me if you want to see a pic of that mark.

Thread Information