Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

buying 2005 seadoo rxp

Hello, i am in the process of buying a 2005 sea doo rxp and was wondering if i can get some advice on what to inspect on the machine.

it has 140 hours, was told supercharger was replaced with brand new one 10 ours ago.
    the individual also told me he is currently redoing the valves on the motor, is that normal to do it at such low hours ?

what else should i check for apart from a compression test ? and what should the compression numbers be ?
    i have read there are issues with supercharger washers and clutches, how do i go about inspecting those ?

any help is greatly appreciated

+1
    So, i bought an 05 RXP for the donor for my conversion and was basically told the same thing. Story was, he replaced the sc so that he didn't have to have it rebuilt, he couldn't run it on the hose because he didn't have the hose hooked up etc etc etc etc....

Turned out, the intercooler popped and it was getting water in the motor. He knew it, changed the oil and sold it to me. When i found out the ic popped, i ran a compression test and it was in the very low 100's. SC ended up being new, NICE! Well, it was new because the old one let go and when i tore the motor down I found washer pieces. The story goes on and i hope Karma eventually hits that guy.

Take the SC hose off and try to spin the supercharger wheel. Take off the oil fill cap and make sure there is no milky oil in there. Definitely do a compression test. If it is above 120 I'd say your good. I know people that won't buy a ski without at least turning it on and revving it up to make sure it hits the rev limiter.

Good luck! Its a 70mph ski bone stock. Lots of room to grow there too.

+1
    The valves were hollow sodium filled on earlier models, prone to snapping off. Funny I bought a 2005 rxt for my conversion the owner said it just died at the end of previous season and there was water on top of the piston....come to find out a valve had snapped, screwing up piston and head... when it died owner towed it in filling engine with salt water, won't say karma will get him as he was clueless, If you can at all ride the ski before you buy... it should idle smooth and rev to about 8k under load (lets you know chargers not slipping) good luck!

+1
    You need to ride before you buy. These models had too many issues not to do so.

+1
    I dont know much about them to be honest with you but i would ride it before you buy. If you feel anything that does not really belong there i would stop. Why don't you take it to dealer and they can quickly see if there is anything wrong. I don't know how much your spending on this machine but if its anything more then 6K i would spend a few hundred bucks taking it to a dealer to have it checked out before i buy. Good luck and keep us posted.

Unfortunatly i am not able to ride it, i live in canada and everything is frozen. Would it be safe to run the ski without hooking up a hose to it for one minute?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by elias799 View Post
    Unfortunatly i am not able to ride it, i live in canada and everything is frozen. Would it be safe to run the ski without hooking up a hose to it for one minute?
    You would be taking a huge risk. Have you negotiated a price with the seller?

Yes, we agreed on 5000

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by elias799 View Post
    Yes, we agreed on 5000
    Man that is pretty pricey. Where are you located at?

Ontario Canada.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information