+1

Anyone have a Keel Shield on their ski?

Anyone have a keel Shield installed on your PWC? Iím riding a new FX SHO and I found out my very 1st ride that the keel is very susceptible to damage. Got dinged up all too easily. I quickly ordered my keel shield and will be installing it before I ride again. Just wanted to know what you guys thought about them and if you had any advice or pointers. Also Iíd like to see pictures of your ski if you have one on. My hull is black and the ski decals are green so I went with the lime green keel shield to contrast against the hull. I think itís going to look cool that way. Iíve watched the installation videos on YouTube and installation looks pretty easy.

+1
    i had one on my last ski ,they create drag and slow you a little, also, it never adhered to the strakes in the hull properly, i ended up taking it off.

It worked great at protecting the keel though.....if you customize it so it fits around the strakes i bet it would work well.
    Last edited by Kaybat; 02-24-2015 at 11:15 PM.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	keelshield.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	352255

See that blue thing stuck to bottom of the boat that is a Keel shield. It protects the Keel of the watercraft.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mursegeorge View Post
    Anyone have a keel Shield installed on your PWC? I’m riding a new FX SHO and I found out my very 1st ride that the keel is very susceptible to damage. Got dinged up all too easily. I quickly ordered my keel shield and will be installing it before I ride again. Just wanted to know what you guys thought about them and if you had any advice or pointers. Also I’d like to see pictures of your ski if you have one on. My hull is black and the ski decals are green so I went with the lime green keel shield to contrast against the hull. I think it’s going to look cool that way. I’ve watched the installation videos on YouTube and installation looks pretty easy.
    I have installed several. The key ingredient is proper prep. The next important thing is to heat up the keel guard so it is more pliable. I also suggest the use of 3M #94 clear adhesive primer applied to the area where the keel will adhere.

+1
    is that #9400 something other than the clear adhesive primer that is provided with the keel shield kit? The kits is supposed to come with this little packet, you tear it open and use this little wipey thing that is supposed to be the activator. (same stuff?) So what is your opinion of them on a jetski? Any complaints? Do they do what they are advertised to do and do they really affect performance?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mursegeorge View Post
    is that #9400 something other than the clear adhesive primer that is provided with the keel shield kit? The kits is supposed to come with this little packet, you tear it open and use this little wipey thing that is supposed to be the activator. (same stuff?) So what is your opinion of them on a jetski? Any complaints? Do they do what they are advertised to do and do they really affect performance?
    I edited it to say #94 primer. I am not sure what the included activator is because our shop only uses 3M products so all adhesion and prep product that come in product packages with anything we work on goes straight in the trash. If you are looking to pull every MPH out of your ski, the guard will cause some drag and you will lose a little speed if you ride trimmed bow down (bow up or a Jim's plate should keep the guard out of the water) but they will protect the crest of your keel. I would not use one on my ski but that's just me.

Note: Before we lay down the primer, we use denatured alcohol to clean and prep the area.

+1
    Okay thanks for your input, I appreciate it. My ski is fast enough, I can accept a little bit of drag in exchange for a hull that not all jacked up. Guess I'm like an old fart that way. I think all these people changing up there already factory high performance skis just to get another 5 mph out of it are just silly. 65 mph or 70 mph there's no difference to me they're both fast as shit for being on the water. Maybe I will change my mind about this down the road but as for now I'm keeping my machine stock and hoping that will give me hundreds of trouble free hours.

+1
    Sounds like a great plan. Good luck and if you have any install questions you can shoot me a PM and get my number.

I am wondering how your keel shield held up on your ski. I just bought a new FX HO and want to protect the hull. Megaware says their keel guard will not work on my particular PWC. But Gator Guards says their Keel Shield will work. I don't to put it on and then have it come off resulting with a hull full of strong adhesive stuck on it. Thanks

+1
    Unfortunately I fail to see on a PWC how it will make any difference t all. Sure...a 1" wide area of the bottom won't get scratched but the rest of it will anyways.

Thread Information