1997 sl1050 new ignition only runs right with battery charger

Have two machines Polaris 1997 SL1050 and a Polaris 1997 SLTX. Just put new ignition systems on boat machines that included the new cdi box and stator from SBT. Both machines used the same part number ign kit. Both machines have the same identical problem. Fire it up and the machine will idle but when you rev it up it bogs and backfires. I hook up my shop battery charger on high and both machines will run perfect. Put in new voltage regulators and batteries in both machines. When running both show they are chargeing correctly by my multimeter. Tried a different coil on one machine still no change. With out the extra voltage of the battery charger they will no run right. Pulled the one ignition kit off and sent it back to SBT. They said they tested it on a bench engine and it ran fine on it. I checked all of the ohms specifications on the stator and they checked out. Have double checked the static timeing. Checked the terminal boards for carbon tracking and corrosion both were fine. Unhooked the MFD and it made no change. AT A LOSS! Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Banned User
    +1
    I would not hook that high powered battery charger to the electronics. You can cook them. Have you removed the small black wire between the electric box and the battery negative? What kind of voltage are you seeing with the engine running?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by boatmanplain View Post
    Have two machines Polaris 1997 SL1050 and a Polaris 1997 SLTX. Just put new ignition systems on both machines that included the new cdi box and stator from SBT. Both machines used the same part number ign kit.

Both machines have the same identical problem...
    The CDI from SBT are made by PVL, same company that made the genuine Polaris updated ignitions.

The new replacement stator sold by SBT, as I understand, is not made by PVL. There have been previous reports of these aftermarket stators not all being 100% equivalent to OEM in terms of working.

I do not know why the stators do not all work properly, but that is the reporting from others. Perhaps the coil windings are in the wrong direction or out of phase in the wiring, just speculation on my part.

That said, let's first focus on whether the battery charging system is actually working as it should. Please do not use the external battery booster anymore.

When end the engine is running at idle or just above idle RPM what is the measured battery voltage? Do not use the MFD voltage display, use a decent quality multimeter set to DC volts, contacting the battery posts.

A properly functioning charging system should deliver very close to 14.5 volts at the battery. The voltage should be fairly stable as RPM varies. Under 13.5 volts is no good, and above 15.5 volts is way too high.

Thread Information