Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fuel tank replaced, now what to spray engine with?

My dealer more or less doubted that it was the spray that caused the damage. More likely [email protected]#@ethanol, or not having a pad under the tank. But, have you guys heard any recommendations on what to spray the wastegate with. I doubt if everyone has been hosing down the tank with spray......For what it's worth, how did PWC's get an exemption on bilge blowers anyway. Every inboard boat has one, with instructions on the dash to run it before every start. (and there not straddling the bomb).

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by rekit View Post
    ... how did PWC's get an exemption on bilge blowers anyway. Every inboard boat has one, with instructions on the dash to run it before every start. (and there not straddling the bomb).
    The USCG exemption is in part because everything under the seat is designed and manufactured to be 'explosion proof'.

That means all the electrical connectors are environmentally sealed to enclose and contain any sparking at the contacts. Switches and wiring are sealed.

The fuel system is vented outside the hull, as is the battery (if still using an old school lead-acid battery). The fuel fuller is outside the hull and with the seat in place during refuel any spilled fuel and fumes from filling should remain outside the enclosed hull.

Inside the hull, the fuel system is supposed to be 100% sealed and not release fuel fumes into the hull. The engine air intake has a flame arrestor to prevent engine backfires from igniting any fumes in the hull.

The engine itself inhales air from the hull and exhausts to the outside so the running engine is in effect a large ventilator.

This is the basis for the exemption, as I understand it. There are still some potential sources of sparking inside a watercraft hull. The battery and starter cable connections are an example, if they become loose or corroded. Spark plug wires can become loose but are supposed to be enclosed within rubber caps.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    CRC 656

Anyone ask honda?

Wasn't 6-56 what got us here? (according to Honda)

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I thought if you used anything but crc656 it would cause the problem

6-56

6-56 is the only spray recommended in the Honda book, so that is what all owners should have been using all along. I mean if it said "Honda $50 spray" then people would be tempted to use something else, like the way some of us don't use their $40 gallon antifreeze for bikes. But to recommend another brand is pretty unheard of, so why use anything else. So, is the new tank made of a different material? Is this tank gonna leak if we use 6-56? Will there be another recall or injuries? I'm calling Honda. Will post back.

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    http://catalog.crcindustries.com/app.php?RelId=6.4.7.2

CRC is not doing it......people try to go around the CRC and use other sprays that are harmful to plastic and rubber

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDFZS View Post

CRC is not doing it......people try to go around the CRC and use other sprays that are harmful to plastic and rubber
    So if I only ever used CRC-56, is there any reason to have the recall done?

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hill View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyDFZS View Post

So if I only ever used CRC-56, is there any reason to have the recall done?
    I would do as Honda suggests and monitor the situation and always do a pre and post ride inspection if you see fuel then have it inspected by them, its a lifetime recall I believe due to safety nature

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I noticed when I had mine the tank would swell up quite a bit if left in sun.....wonder if that with the spray would weaken the seam on tank, also the problem I see is we were told to spray motor and turbo putting oil in bottom of ski is that loosening up the sealer holding down tank rubber and is tank rubbing on bottom of hull causing a leak....
    .its been pretty quiet on there end. Has anyone found the vent system to be a problem cause my tank would relieve a lot of pressure from cap and tank would shrink I had a video a few years back when I had one

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information