Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Trouble shooting the fuel sender

As some of you know, I have been having fuel gauge problems. A while back, my fuel gauge would blink low fuel, even when the tank was full. I ordered and installed a brand new fuel sender. After the new sender was installed, the guage showed full all the time, even when there was only a few gallons in the tank.

So now I have been out in the garage taking ohm readings. I took a reading on the old sender with the float up & down, and both are in spec. Position A in the manual is with the float at the bottom and it should read 757-803, I got 783. Position B in the manual is with the sender turned upside down and the float at the top of the sender and it should read 0-8, I got 6.2. I drained the fuel out of the tank and took a reading with the new sender and it is not making any sense. With the tank empty, I would assume the float would be down, which would duplicate position A in the manual. The reading I get with an empty tank is 2.1. If an empty tank duplicates position A in the manual, I should have gotten between 757-803. I may be thinking about this backwards because the 2.1 I get would put me in spec in position B. Can anybody add clarification to the position of the float on an empty tank?

I have a set of gauges to try. I now know my old fuel sender was not the problem, so it has to be the gauges, right? But is the NEW sender bad as well?

97, your in luck. I have to drain my fuel tank today and I will get you the correct ohm readings for the fuel sender. I remember I had to replace my fuel sender too. After too many tests with the voltmeter I thought it was the gauges. Give me a few hours and you will have some numbers to compare too.

+1
    Mine is laying on the bench I will go out and check it

+1
    I installed the other gauges tonight and it still shows a full tank. I plugged up the old gauges and the old sender and hit the start button with the sender in my hand on and guess what, LOW FUEL. I turned it upside down and hit the start button again, even better, FULL TANK.

Now, why did original sender show low fuel with a full tank and continued to show low fuel for the entire tank of gas? Is it possible the float got stuck? The tank before it started acting up I ran it very low on fuel. HMMM...

I guess the new sender is either bad or the float is stuck in the full position. I have not pulled the new sender out of the tank yet to take OHM readings but I will. So now I get to do some more wrenching and put the original sender back in, wow what fun. I only like to wrench if it is going to make me go faster. This is the only problem I have ever had on the GP in 10 yrs. It still has the original CDI, I can't complain.

I don't own a ski, but maybe I can help. Why don't you test the sending unit by putting it in a bucket of water or something? Then you can see if you submerge the float and then remove water what happens. You'll be able to see then if the float gets stuck once it's been in the full up position. This way you can test the sending unit out of the ski, and you can do better diagnostics on it.

Another thing too, before you put any sending unit in, test them both, outside of the ski and see what the resistance is in fully down (empty position) and fully up ( full position)

It will ease your pain testing both of these outside of the ski. Let us know how it turns out.

It's quite possible that you have an intermittent connection somewhere too.

I hope I don't offend anyone by not owning a ski, I think they're cool as hell, and Jim's ski is impressive, I've seen it in person ( I might just live right by his shop.....)

+1
    Not a good idea to put the sender in water for obvious reasons.
    Buy a ski and get out on the water there a lot of fun.
    SCOTT..........

+1
    The problem with your gauge is the floats are soaked up with gas and no longer float. I boughtwo used and they were the same way "bad" . I got a new tank float assy. from Yamaha and the replacement float assy. is totaly redesigned "updated part" This will solve your problem for good!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
    The problem with your gauge is the floats are soaked up with gas and no longer float. I boughtwo used and they were the same way "bad" . I got a new tank float assy. from Yamaha and the replacement float assy. is totaly redesigned "updated part" This will solve your problem for good!
    The NEW one is brand new from boats.net, and does not OHM out right, and it is the updated and totally redesigned fuel sender. I put the old one back in today because it OHM'S out good and I did the following test.

I plugged it in and put it all the way down a full 5 gallon gas can and hit the start button and it turned over and showed full. I then raised the sender out of the can until only and inch or so was in the gas can and it showed low fuel. Hopefully it will continue to work.

Well, i'm glad you got it fixed. It's a pain in the ass putting in a new part and having the same problem isn't it? Anyways, good luck to you, and stay safe out on the waters.

+1
    If the floats are somewhat "soaked up", I wounder if you could swap the floats from the new unit with those of the old unit?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information