+1

How do you move the crankshaft gear?

Hi, my 93 xp broke down on me. I tore the engine down to find brass shavings in the oil bath. The gear on the crankshaft that meshes with the roatry valve gear has somehow moved on the crankshaft toward the pto side of the engine. This caused the two gears to misalign and grinded the living hell out of the brass gear. How do I move the crankshaft gear back to the center?

Here is a pic of it, sorry for the pic quality!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0181.JPG 
Views:	119 
Size:	299.6 KB 
ID:	21611  

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    Welcome! I've never seen the gear move on the crank...what I would do is buy a reman crank from a dealer or SBT. The reason why is something caused the gear to move, the clearance is too loose on the crank, and it would still need to be put in a jig to straighten out. And the gears are probably trashed anyway. Get a reman with new bearings...slap it in and be done with it.

+1
    Hi, I was actually thinking about getting a rebuilt crankshaft but I was told that I should be able to salvage this crank. I recently acquired a 96 HX so I was planning on selling my 93 xp. So, I just wanna get this thing fixed and running as cheap as possible so that I can sell it and concentrate on my HX. So I'm basically just looking for ideas on how to move the gear back in place if possible.

Thanks,
    Rob

Ok, then lets take a different approach Rob. Did anything go down your carb throats? Have you spun the rotary valve shaft and made sure the bearings weren't failing there? The reason I ask is, the binding of this assembly could be what shoved the crank gear back.

The gears are pressed in place as is the crank bearings. I don't see how to get it back without disassembling the crank from one end. Do you have a machinist local you can take it to for his opinion?

I had the same thing happen and there is an easy fix. You will probably have to go to your local machine shop and have the use a "Seperator plate" and their press to get it back where it goes. If the gear has moved to close to the inner seal, you may be screwed. I have a machine shop and it was no problem.

Hopefully it will not do it again. I pulled my motor apart after about 20 hours to check it.

Here is a link to a seperator plate so you get the idea of what I mean.

http://www.stanleyproto.com/default....tCatalog=PROTO

+1
    Nothing went down the throat of the carbs as far as I know. There was no damage marks to the face of the rotary valve or case. I also found nothing when I split the cases, so I'm pretty sure nothing went in. There were also no screws missing from the airbox assembly. I pulled the rotary valve shaft out yesterday and the bearings were fine. I also checked to see if the valve shaft was bent in anyway using a dial indicator and it also checked out fine. My dad is a machinist but he had no ideas on how to move it back. I will have to look into that separator plate because I'm pretty sure there is enough room between the gear and the bearing to fit it. As to why this happened, I am still clueless. Everything checks out so far. The worst part of this whole thing is that I wasn't on the boat when it happened. My buddy was out on it so I have no idea what the engine was doing in terms of noises or running funny. I learned my lesson, don't let your friends drive your boat!

Quote Originally Posted by fast96HX View Post
    I learned my lesson, don't let your friends drive your boat!
    LOL...haven't we all done this? Glad it wasn't anything else. I hope the plate works for you. Use Three-Bond 1211 when resealing the cases.

+1
    Hi, I thought I would let you guys know what the outcome was. I brought the crank to two different pwc mechanics who would not even touch it. They both told me to get a new or rebuilt one. I then brought it to a machine shop and they also told me that they would not touch it. However, they recommended me to another shop that rebuilds engines. I brought it to them and they also said that they would not even touch it. I convinced them to at least try and they ended up breaking the gear in half. So, it looks like I'm going to dish out the money for a rebuilt crank, oh well.

Rob

Well...that sux. At least you tried.

Thanks for giving us the update.

RQ

Thread Information