Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Emergency Tow Strap Recommendations?

I want to carry a tow strap/line/rope with me for emergencies so I can tow my friend in the event of an emergency (or vice versa). I just got a GTX Limited iS 260 (pick it up tomorrow) and he has a 2012 Kawi 300LX - basically two big skis.

I've been looking around and found these:

http://www.mooringlines.com/tow_lines.htm

Was going to pick up a 25' 5/8" double tow in yellow, but it's expensive and not very long...

Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't mind paying a a bit for a decent tow rope that I can rely on, but I don't want to spend more than I have to seeing as it is something that won't be used unless something bad happens.
    Last edited by K447; 02-28-2015 at 01:48 AM.

+1
    Personally I just carry my anchor and line with me and in a pinch could use it to pull someone or be pulled.

+1
    50' of white anchor line is more than sufficient. Having a tow rope on hand if you ride with a Kawasaki is a great idea.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I have used both 1/2" and 3/8" double braided dock lines as tow ropes at times. I suspect 5/8" is overkill size for towing, but I only buy high quality dock lines.

I have towed a fully flooded three seater with a person aboard. The flooded hull was so heavy it could not get on plane even with the towing ski running at wide open throttle. No issues with the 3/8" tow rope.

25 feet tow rope is workable but the towed ski will receive quite a lot of water blast from the jet pump. That is not a problem unless someone is staying on the dead machine while under tow. I can tell you it is unpleasant to be hunkered down trying to hide from the jet wash of a Kawasaki 300.

A 50 foot rope will avoid most of the jet spray but 50 feet is a lot of rope to mess around with when you get close to the destination dock, or just need to pause during the tow. Accidentally sucking a tow rope into the jet pump can ruin your day and do real damage to the machine.

Perhaps the answer is two 25 ropes with strong snap hooks (not carabiners). You can link them together if you need the full length, use them individually if that is appropriate.

Most of my dock lines have Wichard brand stainless steel snap hooks. Makes it easy to hook the line on in an instant and there are no corners or edges to catch rings or the rope. Much stronger than a simple carabiner and safer.

Last edited by K447; 02-28-2015 at 01:55 AM.

+1
    We have a Jettribe tow strap. Have used it plenty of times towing in boats and other craft.
    http://www.jettribe.com.au/Jet-Ski-Tow-Strap
    http://

+1
    I replaced my winch strap once and kept the old one for a tow strap. Here's something cheap on Amazon.

+1
    practice your knots, especially the bowline knot and get way more than 25'. I carry 100' with me and so do most people I ride with. Used it more to pull people out of marshes than towing broken down skis so thats why the length is important.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Davrac View Post
    We have a Jettribe tow strap. Have used it plenty of times towing in boats and other craft.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	352518

Views:	46 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	352520

Interesting method for attaching to the bow eye of the disabled watercraft

How fiddly is it to actually attach to the bow eye and thread the Velcro end through the multiple loops when bobbing around on the water?

Quote Originally Posted by Jettribe Jet Ski PWC Boat Tow Strap
    ... features a built-in foam floater that keeps the strap at the water’s surface and slows down projecting pieces in case any part of the watercraft were to break during tow.

Built in floater to make retrieval an ease.
    What is this 'feature' talking about?
    Do they mean if the tow eye breaks or the strap lets go under tension?
    Last edited by K447; 02-28-2015 at 02:07 PM.

+1
    I built a 3/8" surf rescue tow rope with side opening carabiner with a small float ball atached to it. And then spliced a loop on the other end and also spliced to the ball/carabiner. Just grab/toss/hook and haul ass. Depending on purpose will set the length.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davrac View Post

Views:	65 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	352518

Views:	46 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	352520

Interesting method for attaching to the bow eye of the disabled watercraft

How fiddly is it to actually attach to the bow eye and thread the Velcro end through the multiple loops when bobbing around on the water?

Quote Originally Posted by Jettribe Jet Ski PWC Boat Tow Strap
    ... features a built-in foam floater that keeps the strap at the water’s surface and slows down projecting pieces in case any part of the watercraft were to break during tow.

Built in floater to make retrieval an ease.
    What is this 'feature' talking about?
    Do they mean if the tow eye breaks or the strap lets go under tension?
    actually is pretty easy to thread even when bobbing around in swell. As I am an avid 4wder I fully appreciate the "feature". If the tow rope breaks under tension the last thing you want is a metal tow hook coming flying at you. The float serves two purposes. Acts as a dampener whilst towing In case of failure. The weight prevents any backlash in event of failure. Secondly it allows strap to float and third benefit is strap is wide (not a thin rope) so is easily visible by other craft so hopefully no Cowboys try and cross between the two crafts under tow. Hence the red float as well. Visibility

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information