Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Buy Msx 150 with engine problem

This year I want to buy one Msx because I really like this ski. At this moment I'm negotiating the purchase of one my 2004. The body is well maintained but the seller told me that the engine burn oil. He think that the turbo charge must be rebuild, but I fear that can be a nikasil problem on cylinder or valve seals. What do you think about? This ski ridden 110 hours.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to GH

Another member in Hawaii posted a thread with a similar question.

Read the answers there for a starting discussion.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=228288

There is also a lot of useful information to be found in my signature links.

+1
    Thanks K447! My name is Antonio and I live in Italy, I ride mainly on freshwater (Garda see)!

Is this the thread you're talking about? http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=228288

+1
    Welcome.
    2004 Polaris MSX 110 and MSX 150 both use the same Weber 4-stroke, 750cc, twin cylinder, turbo-charged engine. These Weber engines have a number of known issues and are expensive to fix or rebuild. Check out these threads for more information. If you need a full rebuild plus a turbo, it will cost you a lot... around $3000 USD or more in Italy. And you'll have to do all the work.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2513392
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=228080
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=217748
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....10-and-msx-150

Cheers!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony2k View Post

Is this the thread you're talking about? http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=228288
    Yes

+1
    A compression test will give you an idea about the health of the motor. Should be 140 ± 14.5 psi (9.6 ± 1 bar). If its the turbo, the engine needs to come out to replace it (or so I'm told )

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    A compression test will give you an idea about the health of the motor. Should be 140 ± 14.5 psi (9.6 ± 1 bar). If its the turbo, the engine needs to come out to replace it (or so I'm told )
    A leak-down test will also give a good indication of piston ring health. And if you have a blown head-gasket, a leak-down test will find this (gurgles coolant).

To pull the turbo, you have to go through all the steps to remove the engine... hoist it up ~12 inches and rotate it ~45 degrees to give yourself enough room to pull the exhaust turbo manifold off the studs it sits on. I've removed the turbo cartridge off an exhaust turbo manifold on the bench. I don't think you could get to all the retaining bolts with the manifold still attached to the engine.

Cheers!

+1
    So is it worth it to buy and rebuild a 150? I consider myself quite handy, but I've never rebuilt an engine before (unless you count the lawnmower engine in 7th grade shop, lol). I guess the appeal for me would be the value proposition. Buying a different brand 4 stroke of a similar vintage is a crap shoot, and costs thousands more unless its already broken...

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    I don't have a Weber, but i'll give you my $.02.
    I wanted an MSX for the hull design, and had 3 to chose from (110/140/150). I have rebuilt numerous engines from weedwhackers to 800hp street/strip cars.
    From what I gathered here, the 110/150 will cost $3k in parts alone to do a "stock" rebuild and fortify the weak points. That's just the engine, and doesn't account for other issues with the ski itself.
    Where I am, these skis are only worth about $4k so I didn't see the financial sense to put that kind of money into a Weber build.
    I'm very familiar with the 1200 DI engine, and the rebuild cost for one is under $1500 and that's factoring in a new (rebuilt) crank, new plating on the cylinders, and EMM repair if needed. MUCH cheaper, and from what I gather the 140 and the 150 are about the same speed wise. Not to mention if the 1200 drops a cylinder or something then repairs are much easier later. If you have never rebuilt an engine before, the Weber may not be the best one to start with, if for no other reason then if something gets messed up, it's a PITA to pull the engine again to make it right.

Your probably impatient like me, but i'll be selling the 2003 MSX 140 I have in a month or two. Hull wise it's in excellent condition, but it will need an engine, and some other minor(ish) parts. I will have a partial engine to go with it. I just need to make sure I have everything I need for my 2004 build first.

Banned User
    +1
    f you are one like me who just doesn't care about the resale value of these things, then go ahead and rebuild a Weber motor. I look at these things in terms of total outlay of cash to get the ski that I want. If the price is reasonable, then I go for it. If I can have as much fun on a 4000-5000 dollar ski as I can have on a 15,000 dollar ski, then thats all I need. I have 2 skis that I probably have spent twice what they are worth building. I don't care, as I am not selling them any time soon. I just look at that as taking a depreciation hit over a few years, but nowhere near as drastic as the hit you take on a new ski.

If you are looking to buy a ski to rebuild, and then keep it for the long haul, then the money you spend isn't so much an issue. If you plan to build a ski and sell it in a year or two, then you should pay attention to what you are spending.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information