Conventional Starting Solenoid

Hi all,
    I've been searching the many theads relating to the 255 starter solenoid but I have a specific question that remains unanswered

Has anyone replaced the OEM solenoid with a generic (Ford type) solenoid ?
    Can this even be done?
    I tried out one yesterday - using the body of the solenoid and the 'S' terminal to 'trigger' the relay.
    There's no coil so I ignored the 'I' terminal.
    The solenoid relay 'clicks' upon starting but nothing else.

I'm just looking for something a bit more robust than the OEM and copy part.

Cheers
    Last edited by macka; 02-28-2015 at 06:24 PM.

+1
    Whats wrong with OEM? Dont fix it if it aint broke.

Quote Originally Posted by ncdoo View Post
    Whats wrong with OEM?
    They last about 5 minutes

+1
    my 05 has never had the solenoid replaced

Have you tried a solid state relay? seem cheap enough in FleaBay....not sure if they are any good for a starter motor.

Success Folks

I seem to go through starter soleniods like underpants.
    (Admittingly they're the Chinese copies I think)
    Not sure if there is some other underlining problem, but will see how this generic solenoid made South of your border goes.

Refering to my OP I had the Batt & starter cables on the solenoid arse about. (I did not think it would matter - obviously does.)
    Happy as a pig in mud now. It fires up the starter like you have a new battery.
    I live fair distance from an OEM dealer so being able to use something from an auto parts store suits perfectly.

Thanks for your comments.

Will update you on it's reliability.

I think I have just found my problem with the solenoids.

Operating in salt water brings with it inherent elctrical connection dramas. We all know that.
    So, i have always made sure any electrical connections are tight.

It appears, maybe a little too tight.

Per my OP, after fixing the starting on the port engine, (sports boat) I checked the connections on the solenoid of the starboard starter.
    Then - this engine won't start. It did 15min earlier - AAAGH I'm pulling my hair out

Short story, tried original solenoid from other engine, connections to finger tight, bugger me the thing starts perfectly.
    Any mechanics care to comment?

+1
    I would put a volt meter in the starter after the solinoid, when you go to start it make sure your getting battery voltage. Be careful with starter relays, marine ones are different to car ones. They are a sealed unit keep water out and sparks in. Sparks in engine bays go boom. Not getting vapor locking or something? Is it just slow crank or just not cranking fast enough

Quote Originally Posted by steven mace View Post
    Be careful with starter relays, marine ones are different to car ones. They are a sealed unit keep water out and sparks in. Sparks in engine bays go boom.
    Bloody good point Steven.
    Didn't even think of marine solenoids 'keeping the sparks in'

Speaking of sparks, why I put it down to the solenoid is that, after running the bildge blowers for a couple minutes and with every cover open, I held my breath and bridged the solenoid with my pliers. The engine started fine so just elimination.
    But per my last post, I reckon maybe tightening the things too much might pull the internal contacts against the ABS housing. That's all I can think of.

I definately take your point though.
    Cheers for that.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by macka View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steven mace View Post
    Be careful with starter relays, marine ones are different to car ones. They are a sealed unit keep water out and sparks in. Sparks in engine bays go boom.
    Bloody good point Steven.
    Didn't even think of marine solenoids 'keeping the sparks in'

Speaking of sparks, why I put it down to the solenoid is that, after running the bildge blowers for a couple minutes and with every cover open, I held my breath and bridged the solenoid with my pliers. The engine started fine so just elimination.
    But per my last post, I reckon maybe tightening the things too much might pull the internal contacts against the ABS housing. That's all I can think of.

I definately take your point though.
    Cheers for that.
    Hehe well be careful dude. My boss was doing some heat shrinking in his boat with a gas torch and there was some fuel fumes in his buildge . His wife was in the boat standing above the fuel tanks. She now has one leg.. blew them both out of the boat. Should be no fumes in a boat at all. All breathers are out side the boat.. anyway you could be right about the over tightning of the solinoid. Been through a few in my mercruisers. Maybe just get a good high current external marine relay and connect it to the pole your bridging? You can pull them apart and clean them up as well. They just an electromagnet pushing a plate across two poles. Only got to be a bit of crap stoping contact of the plate and its useless. Rip it apart, sand it up. Keep it dry.

Thread Information