Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation 2014 SVHO hull re-paint - am I being too fussy?

I had my hull re-painted under warranty due to flaking paint and just got the ski back. The painter has masked up along the side of the ski where the side of the ski wraps under to the hull and sprayed. There is a distinctive line where the new paint is not the same color as the original and when looking at it in the light a distinctive line and 2-tone colors now where they don't match. I tried to take pictures but it is hard to see without light on it and then I can't get the camera to focus.

This was supposed to be a Yamaha warranty on a ski with 6 hours on it. Am I being too fussy to expect a better full hull re-paint than this masking non-color match and spray 2/3rd of the hull job?

Cheers.

+1
    I don't think it's unreasonable for you to want a new ski to look new. After all, you spent your money on it. It should be right. Nothing more, nothing less.

3. +1 by:

+1
    I had my ski repainted under warranty and I don't see any line and they did the same job they did too you..

Dealerships usually subcontract that type of work for shit pay.Usually to marinas which primarily work on boats so they are accustomed to cutting corners like that to avoid un necessary prep work.On a boat you can get away with alot of it because it is a larger scale but not on a ski.I had someone repaint my bottom affordably and the outcome was very similar

+1
    You should insist they fix it. I had a beautiful job done under warranty (and my paint peeled over an area size of two matchsticks) by a high end subcontractor who does custom car and bike paint jobs. It was much better looking and more durable along the keel than the factory job.

After another ten hours I had one spot where the top layer started to peel, up high near the chine on the port bow, around where the the chop would slap it at speed. It was only one layer, with nice smooth paint underneath, as if an edge had been sprayed over an already cured area of two pack. I let them know but didn't take in straight away. It didn't keep peeling, after another ten hours the edges of the area had feathered and honestly, it was hard to find.

Quite frankly, I was fine with it as I could barely see it, but the painter was mortified and the dealer made the specific point that "It has to be done right, and not be able to be seen".... So, it's in getting done again....

Not sure where you are but if Yamaha Australia and dealers/contractors here have that attitude they should do everywhere...
    Last edited by zone5; 03-02-2015 at 03:41 PM.

+1
    You aren't being too fussy. I agree with the comment about dealerships sub-contracting this out and perhaps focus on saving money. The dealer I got my FZR from managed to scratch the hull the day I was supposed to pick it up and repainted it-- you'd have no idea anything was wrong with it now.

For the record, I have spoken to Yamaha directly (about the extended warranty) and they were extremely pleasant. It might be worth talking to them directly if the dealer isn't being helpful.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by db2boy View Post
    I had my hull re-painted under warranty due to flaking paint and just got the ski back. The painter has masked up along the side of the ski where the side of the ski wraps under to the hull and sprayed. There is a distinctive line where the new paint is not the same color as the original and when looking at it in the light a distinctive line and 2-tone colors now where they don't match. I tried to take pictures but it is hard to see without light on it and then I can't get the camera to focus.

This was supposed to be a Yamaha warranty on a ski with 6 hours on it. Am I being too fussy to expect a better full hull re-paint than this masking non-color match and spray 2/3rd of the hull job?

Cheers.
    Mine is peeling some as well did the dealer repaint or did they just pay for you to have it done somewere else they recomended ?

+1
    They send it out to get repainted.....

+1
    It really comes down to the dealer you go to and who they have do the work. Some dealers will just pawn the work off once Yamaha authorizes it. I would have them tell you who is doing the work and make sure you approve of the shop. Dealers 99% of the time are looking for the cheapest quote. The repairs come out of the Dealerships operating funds till yamaha sends them the check to cover it so less cost less they are floating.

I talked to the dealer I bought my 15 from about it and he said they normally will get three quotes and normally submit the middle quote but would discuss it with the ski owner first. (I asked as my 14 that was stolen had the issue, but was going to have it done after the peak season. The thief instead got to deal with it)

+1
    Just call Yamaha. Tell them they done a crappy job and not acceptable.

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information