View Poll Results: Is Deleting Power Valves Normal

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Normal, power valves are known to fail.

0 0%
  • Abnormal, you should walk away.

6 100.00%

Power valve delete?

Hello, I am in talks to trade, with a gp1200r owner who has a ski whose previous owner had deleted the power valves. I have extensively studied power valves and 2 stroke engines and I fully understand their operation and purpose. but I am really put off by the idea that someone has just deleted them all together, to me red flags are flying. Should I walk away or is this normal for a gp1200r owner to consider?

+1
    I do know that the newest model 1300s did not have power valves. As far as the 1200 goes I haven't heard of deleting the power valves. I'm sure someone on here may know more about this situation your talking about.

Welcome to the hulk!

+1
    Yes you can delete the power valve.....you put what's called gas valves.....
    Quote Originally Posted by adamm285 View Post
    Hello, I am in talks to trade, with a gp1200r owner who has a ski whose previous owner had deleted the power valves. I have extensively studied power valves and 2 stroke engines and I fully understand their operation and purpose. but I am really put off by the idea that someone has just deleted them all together, to me red flags are flying. Should I walk away or is this normal for a gp1200r owner to consider?

You cant just delete them unless you use gas valves. You can pin them open or closed but you will loose top end if u pin them closed and loose bottom end if you pin the open.

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum. So what I'm hearing is that he most likely didn't "delete" them. Since the ski runs normally. When I asked the seller when the power valves had been serviced and he replied they had been removed. So he might not know what work was actually done. would the ski still operate normally with out PVs? is it likely the gas valves were used?

+1
    The only time I've heard of making the power valves fixed was when GroupK offered the early 1390 mod. That's the only time I've heard of disabling the power valves. My advice would be if it's not a GroupK modified 1390, be prepared to buy, install or fix any modified power valve components. Make sure the price reflects that fact.

After speaking with the seller he elaborated that the motor is complete, and that the servo motor had been disconnected. I too have read the group k article about the 1390 big bore kit and I seriously doubt this ski has been upgraded like that. So what would be the benefit of disabling the power valves servo motors?

+1
    just sounds like its rigged up to me. Something broken and they didnt want to spend the money to fix it so they disabled and removed parts. do a compression test that will most likely tell you if it had previous pv issues like one breaking off and smashing the top of the piston

Thread Information