Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

2011 VXR - ride and price

I'm hoping you can help me with a possible purchase. I currently own a Yamaha FXHO 1.8 that I purchased new and I have had a great ownership experience with it. The FX sits on a Triton double trailer and the empty set of bunks are starting to get lonely, so I'm looking for a second ski to provide a different type of ride. All riding will be limited to inland fresh water lakes. I'm looking for a ski that will be lighter and more playful, something that could throw me at slower speeds in heavy wake. I'd love a reliable four-stroke version of the old style skis that provided a fun experience at slower speeds.

I thought about a Spark and went as far as getting a quote. All the dealer fees were a turnoff, and, frankly, I don't trust Sea-doo much in the reliability department. I've passed on it.

So now I'm thinking about a used VXR. First, is this a good a good match for what I'm trying to find? Second, I'd like to get your opinion on a specific one I found. It's a 2011 with 25 hours that a dealer is selling. They took it on trade after selling it to the sole owner back in 2011. The top deck is perfect. The bottom of the hull has some scratches and abrasion marks from beaching. It comes with a Yamaha cover. Pricing this thing has been a challenge given the hours are so low and the pricing tools really don't take that into consideration. The dealer has gone through the machine and pronounced it near perfect condition aside from the bottom hull scratches. What do you think is a fair price before taxes?

+1
    Well, it sounds like the VXR is what you're looking for. It will provide the same engine reliability and power as you already have since it's the same engine. But the hull will be more playful on the smooth lake and the ski should be a little faster since it's lighter.

I have no idea on the price.

+1
    Price varies by location but you probably shouldn't pay more than $7,000. Anything more than $7,000 and you'd be getting close to the price range of purchasing a left over.

+1
    Thanks you both for the replies. Aside from the Spark or a standup, the VXR was the lightest modern model I could find and it has an attractive power to weight ratio. I'm hoping the lighter weight combined with a relatively flat hull will give me more of the handling I'm looking for.

I'm going to pass on that specific VXR I initially wrote about. The price was high at $7,800, and the dealer wants to tack on hundreds of dollars more in their fees. Plus they're rather shady. The sales guy had agreed to a price and took a cc deposit, then later the sales manager changed the price and terms. I don't do business with people like that regardless of price.

So, I'm in the market for a low hours and well cared for VXR.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by trainerty View Post
    Thanks you both for the replies. Aside from the Spark or a standup, the VXR was the lightest modern model I could find and it has an attractive power to weight ratio. I'm hoping the lighter weight combined with a relatively flat hull will give me more of the handling I'm looking for.

I'm going to pass on that specific VXR I initially wrote about. The price was high at $7,800, and the dealer wants to tack on hundreds of dollars more in their fees. Plus they're rather shady. The sales guy had agreed to a price and took a cc deposit, then later the sales manager changed the price and terms. I don't do business with people like that regardless of price.

So, I'm in the market for a low hours and well cared for VXR.
    Where are you located? It may help to enter it in your bio for the future.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SCHNORR12 View Post
    Where are you located? It may help to enter it in your bio for the future.
    I'm in Colorado. Terrific idea about the bio, so I just added some helpful information to my profile. Thanks for the suggestion!

-Ty

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    I'd sell my FZS for a shade less than that with stock boost

+1
    If you want lighter and nimble with decent NA power, the VXR is the way to go. There was a VXR here in the classifieds for sale. Not sure if it still is.

+1
    It's good to have some additional feedback that the VXR is a good choice, CCW. I did see that VXR for sale in the classifieds and if it was still available I'd jump on it, even if it meant shipping it to Colorado. Unfortunately that VXR listed as sold about a week before I gave up on the Spark and turned my attention to the VXR as my preferred option. With ice on our lakes presently I figure I have a few months to track down another option. For now I'll just enjoy the snow skiing until the right VXR comes along

Also in the market-looking at VXR because for me, a newby, simpler is better. Any mechanical issues/reliability issues with this particular model? I know Yamahas are supposed to be the best as far as reliability.
    I have found a 2011, 43 hours including trailer for less than $7K--looks like a pretty good deal for me-based on the comments

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information