Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2001 Virage Tx 1200 wont start

I'm going nuts here. 2001 Virage tx 1200 wont start. No spark. I've read all the articles. I've done the tests. Replaced the stator and lr 505. just broke down and bought a new cdi unit. still no spark. Ive looked at all the wires for shorts. disconected the kill switch at the box to eliminate a ground out and still no spark. Any ideas, I've replaced just about the whole electrical system. The ski is in very good shape but it looks like I might have to part it out if I cant find out what this is. AHHHHHHH..

Banned User
    +1
    Did you replace the battery? Are you getting at least 10.6 volts while cranking. When these red domestic motors do not spark the first place to look is the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Did you replace the battery? Are you getting at least 10.6 volts while cranking. When these red domestic motors do not spark the first place to look is the battery.
    Yes. Strong battery.

+1
    This a continuation of the saga posted last year here, correct?

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=216828
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=220920

I chased an intermittant no-spark issue on my 1200... finally went no-spark permanently. Turned out to the be CDI. You mentioned a new one... new new... or new used? Known and tested good?

Have you examined the plug wire ends? How are you determining no-spark? Plug pulled, hooked up, grounded, engine cranked, no spark? Test each plug wire this way?

Cheers!

+1
    When you sourced your new cdi and stator were they used? New? Known working replacements? Was the stator bought from sbt? Or was it a genuine pvl (oem Polaris) brand stator?

Quote Originally Posted by Bdesim View Post
    When you sourced your new cdi and stator were they used? New? Known working replacements? Was the stator bought from sbt? Or was it a genuine pvl (oem Polaris) brand stator?
    Yes, this is a continuation from last year. Pulled the ski out of storage to continue to try and get it running.

CDI is BRAND NEW. Not used. So is Stator and 505. All Brand new. New plugs were the first thing I did. Testing spark at each cylinder with the plug pulled and grounded also tried using a spark tester and an ohm meter. I get nothing. I checked ground wires to the engine and cleaned. They appear OK. so does red wires at solinoid and battery. Also red going back into the electrical box. Solid and no drain at the box, so good voltage everywere. Engine cranks good and strong. Just NO SPARK. I have basically replaced the electrical system and still no spark.

Banned User
    +1
    When you crank the engine do you get a RPM reading on the display?

NO. The display works. Shows fuel/oil etc. When I connect the battery I get the full test screen were every lcd is lit including the RPM scale, but when I crank the engine I do not see any RPMs.

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dfgtye View Post
    NO. The display works. Shows fuel/oil etc. When I connect the battery I get the full test screen were every lcd is lit including the RPM scale, but when I crank the engine I do not see any RPMs.

Do you set the display to show the digital tach on the bottom of the screen? You should see somewhere from maybe 300-500 RPM on the display while cranking. Is the CDI power feed connected to the orange wire terminal in the box?

I dont see a tach on the bottom of the screen. It starts at the bottom left and goes up and over the top of the display. The CDI is getting power. Already checked the feed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information