Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Why do the stock ignition coils back out? RXT-260

I can't keep the coils from backing out of the cylinder head of my RXT-260.

I have had this issue since day one so I don't think it is related to wear on the spark plugs. What's surprising is that even though the coil has backed out to the point of bumping against the engine cover, there still isn't a miss.

I thought I was putting too much dielectric grease on them so I cleaned that off and it didn't help. There is 112 hours on it with the original spark plugs so maybe I should just change them out and see what happens.

What else can I try?
    Last edited by K447; 03-04-2015 at 09:06 AM.

+1
    When you changed the Plugs did you remove the, Removable top pieces off the Plugs that screw on?

I had this problem on a set of aftermarket coils also even with the Part removed

+1
    The spark plugs won't fit in the coil stick unless the threaded terminal cap is removed. The threaded stud on the end of the plug is worn from the retention wire that is in the stick but, like I said, I've had this problem since day one.

+1
    it is a old brp design, all the newer 4 tec motors have a bolt to keep the coil tight

+1
    Possible loose spark plug. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN but make sure they are not slightly loose as in crush seal not crushed. Also spark plugs can leak past the insulator. Look for brownish ring at the bottom of the insulator. Remember there is a whole lot of pressure on the other side of that plug.

+1
    Under heat the rubber seal around the coil swells and pushes the coil up... Gets worse as the rubber gets old and has been through numerous heat cycles... Take the rubber seal off and you will see that the coil will stay all the way down on the spark plug.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SWGTR View Post
    Possible loose spark plug. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN but make sure they are not slightly loose as in crush seal not crushed. Also spark plugs can leak past the insulator. Look for brownish ring at the bottom of the insulator. Remember there is a whole lot of pressure on the other side of that plug.
    You might have something there-the plugs are tight but I noticed there was liquid in the plug recess of the cylinder that the coil backs out the most. I thought it was condensation but maybe it could be fuel seeping past the insulator.

+1
    I have a hard time believing that would be fuel. The fuels going to get burned up in the combustion process however a byproduct of combustion is water. The leak I am talking about would be very very tiny. It would take some time running depending on the size of the leak. slowly it would build up and push the coil out. Your first assumption would be more likely Condensation with all the heat it turns to steam and helps push the coil out.

+1
    Never had this issue on my 05 and I run harder than most. Anti seize the plug threads, make damn sure you have the 4339 plug and remove the terminal, die electric the plug porcelain and shove that coil down on that bitch. Should not have any issues.

+1
    I had the same issue when the TOPS valve failed which caused excess crankcase pressure. This caused pressure (and oil) in that area pushing the the coil out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information