Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Best Shaft to Use - R&D or Riva Gen 3

I have always leaned toward & used the R&D shaft (lighter is better) & Riva 1 pc bearing combo. In my quest to find the recipe to help keep the oem SC's together with high boost, I spoke with a reputable source today who really liked the Riva Gen3 shaft assy - as the third/rear support bearing may help take some of the thrust/load off.

I am getting ready to grab a new shaft here in the next day or two (was going with the R&D again & already have a new Riva bearing sitting here), but just wanted to do a quick check in to see if the Riva Gen3 is worth thinking about?

Thanks for any info!

Seen a few Gen 3s burning up lately.R&D and Riva one piece is hands down the best set up since day one.Just make sure you prime the charger with oil and dont rev it on the trailer

+1
    I hope the Riva Gen 3 shaft is stronger than the Riva Gen 1 shaft. I went with the R&D shaft after this happened.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gen 1 shaft.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	352707

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FXSlowKroozer View Post
    Seen a few Gen 3s burning up lately.R&D and Riva one piece is hands down the best set up since day one.Just make sure you prime the charger with oil and dont rev it on the trailer
    Thanks D,

I appreciate the good word. I was already running an R&D shaft,but it got slightly tweaked. I had a lightened Riva Gen 2 for a back up, but will be picking up another R&D tomorrow. It's also cool for you to give the other preventative info. I do the "put it in reverse first" trick when clearing the waterbox & rev it up slowly, so hopefully that will help keep things together..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    R&D
    With Riva 1 pc Bushing, fo sho!
    http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=2133

+1
    I had the same question, some insight here. I've shelved my Gen 3 for now and will use the R&D shaft with the Riva 1 piece bearing.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=216057

8. +1 by:

+1
    I run the RD shaft

I've been running the Riva Gen 3 shaft with a ET19 wheel on a 2014 FZ-SVHO. 30+ hours of hard run time so far & no problems what so ever. I also know of allot of people running the Gen 3 shafts with no issues as well. Like the R&D shaft, the Riva Gen 3 shaft is all one piece. However the Riva Gen 3 shaft has a way better oiling/support system compared to the R&D, IMO. (R&D shaft does not have this) This is what sold me on the Gen 3. Sure it's a bit more $, but the benefits are worth it. Cheap insurance if you ask me. If someone "burned up" one of these Gen 3 shafts, I'd bet there was another issue that led to the failure. Just sayin'

+1
    Myself and 2 mates all running the gen3 shaft with 18psi wheels and no problems. Also chose this over the r&d for the oiling system and rear shaft support setup.

that picture to me looks like a clutch has locked up at speed and snapped the shaft gear or constant compressor surging.

each to their own.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information