Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2010 FZR waterbox/exhaust free flow Modification

Hi all, bit of advice needed, Has anyone ever dissected a factory fitted waterbox/exhaust box to " free flow " it ? Alloy welding is not an issue and noise reduction is also not an issue as the ski is ridden exclusively on the sea.Just wondered if there was any pit falls in removing the baffle plates and rewelding it back together..... Has anyone tried this before ? Many thanks Terry

+1
    I think people did it early on (2009-2010), but the gains weren't worth the effort if I remember correctly.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 64physhy View Post
    I think people did it early on (2009-2010), but the gains weren't worth the effort if I remember correctly.

That's what I remember. The real question is what are you trying to accomplish? More hp or Sound?

+1
    Baffle plates are for sound control. Removing them will not usually do anything for performance.

Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post

That's what I remember. The real question is what are you trying to accomplish? More hp or Sound?
    was looking for a bit of both, the Riva ff waterbox boasts gains of up to 15BHP would removing the baffle plates inhibit the boxes ability to remove the cooling water. Do you know of any pit falls in removing the baffle plates?

+1
    Seems like gutting the stock water box didn't gain anything, abd the Riva waterbox only had slight gains. There are a lot of 80+mph skis running the stock box. If you want sound, you can do a free flow exhaust from the waterbox back. It's easy to build a DIY exhaust, or you can get the Riva or R&D. Running a free-flow through the stock exhaust exit in the tunnel causes a drone that a lot of people don't like, so they do a rear-exit system. The drone doesn't bother me because it's only in an RPM range that I don't ride at much.

+1
    Here is my FZ stock water box with Riva rear exit exhaust.

Seems like gutting the stock water box didn't gain anything, abd the Riva waterbox only had slight gains. There are a lot of 80+mph skis running the stock box. If you want sound, you can do a free flow exhaust from the waterbox back. It's easy to build a DIY exhaust, or you can get the Riva or R&D. Running a free-flow through the stock exhaust exit in the tunnel causes a drone that a lot of people don't like, so they do a rear-exit system. The drone doesn't bother me because it's only in an RPM range that I don't ride at much.
    Thanks for that, my ski has a rear exit Riva exhaust which i had fitted from new, just had a couple of more mods going on this year (another re-flash and looking into a 165mm pump and impellor) so i was debating the water box getting a bit of a clear out, not fussed about the noise issue was curious as to whether any gains could be made from working the standard box before buying a Riva replacement

There is proven throttle response on gutted waterbox.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmfmk3 View Post
    There is proven throttle response on gutted waterbox.
    Maybe psychologically.

11. +1 by:

@JC

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information