Another RXPX Rattle Noise Thread. However different to all others. 2009 RXPX 165 Hour

I have been reading up on possible rattle/vibration noises for nearly 2 months on this forum and other sites, however i can not pin point this particular noise.

At first i thought it may be the supercharger as it only occurs under hard acceleration in the water at 80-100% throttle. When the supercharger would be working hardest, i assume. However i have now replaced it with a brand new unit and although the noise has quietened down (there may have been two sources) it's still there.

With the seat on the rattle sound is similar to what pinging (detonation) sounds like in a car and again it's only when the engine is under heavy load. With the seat off, the engine sounds like it has a rattle through the entire rev range. But it just gets very loud at the top of end of the RPM range. Also with the seat off, it doesn't sound like a valve train or mechanical type rattle, its more like a heat shield is vibrating. But again checked everything i can see for any loose bolts, clamps or fittings and all seems fine.

Just as a bit of back ground the ski will comfortably sit on 8040 RPM and 114kph on nice smooth water. Power seems like new and everything appears to be working as it should.

I have replaced the charger, checked anodes (result of a rattle problem on greenhulk), checked compression which was good, plugs appear neither fouled or lean. Ran the ski on different fuels. It has had an oil change with the correct oil level confirmed. Pump was rebuilt 10 hours ago, including impeller and wear ring, before i owned it (but i do have receipts from the dealer). I have replaced drive shaft, carbon ring and pto boot (these were changed to the 2008 version, however didn't affect the noise at all). I have also replaced an engine mount.

I have checked everything i can to my ability in regards to loose things on the hull, i did inspect the pump for a possible bearing noise and they felt like new. The noise really sounds like it is coming from the engine but apart from stripping the motor i am at a bit of a loss.

I am far a jet ski mechanic, however have been around cars all my life as well many race bikes and race cars, performance motors. I would nearly dismiss this as normal noise, however i had a another 2008 RXPX to play with last weekend and the noise was definitely not there on that ski.

If anyone has any thoughts as to what this might be, i'd love to hear it.

Thanks very much.

canadian iceman
    +1
    Sounds like your resonator (i assume its stock so im talking about the black box the exhaust hose goes in ...then out..)
    I have had similar thing happen....they are not much fun to remove but thats my opinion

+1
    did you look at the shaft and gear of the old SC that was removed?

First thing I would check would be the motor mounts.

Unfortunately i have removed the resonator (black box on the starboard/right side of the ski) and re-fitted it, which didn't affect this rattle sound. I did it purely for a free flow exhaust, but it got a bit loud for use in canals here. However this has got me thinking about the water box on the other side. I would imagine they have some sort of baffle inside which could be making the noise.

Has anyone heard of a water box failing from the inside out?

Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    did you look at the shaft and gear of the old SC that was removed?

First thing I would check would be the motor mounts.
    Thanks very much for the suggestions.

I did check shaft play on the old charger, there was movement in all directions. Very minimal movement, but it was there. The old charger was rebuilt 63 hours ago, according to the Scandoo print out. It was definitely showing signs of age, i was worried it may have had a touch down, so opted straight for a new charger, just incase something was out of balance.

All mounts are definitely intact. When i noticed one had failed i made sure the other two were all good.

+1
    I have to ask, how do you know they're intact? Just because they look whole means nothing to these. OEM mounts are not the best and the rubber will completely separate from the aluminum mount but you won't notice until you lift the motor up. This happened to me a few times.

+1
    check your flywheel, a broken or chipped tooth can cause a shit load of noise and premature gear/charger failure

Thread Information