Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Poor performance first time out

Hello...

Yesterday was my first day out on my 2004 RXP in several months. The engine performance was irregular and the ski did not perform well until almost all of the (old) fuel had been used. I believe the problem may be due to the fact that the ski was stored with about 3/4 of a tank of fuel left in the vehicle. No gas stabalizer had been added to the fuel prior to storing. The ski was stored in a mild climate in a garage where the avg temperature was ~50 degrees. While out yesterday I burned off the entire tank of old fuel. Given that the gas stabalizer had not been added and the fuel sat for a few months in the vehicle would it make sense that the ski performed poorly? Anything I should do prior to filling the tank with good fuel and taking the ski out the second time?

Many thanks!

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    change the spark plugs while ur at it... for like $2.50 each it will ensure the plugs are new and they aren't the culprit, which they may be

what kind of RPMs were u pulling at max speed?

Question

When I first got out on the water the ski seemed to idle fine and also had no trouble when idling through the nowake zone. Early on when giving the ski gas I seemed to have trouble getting over 4000-5000 RPMs and the RPMs would bounce up / down even at constant throttle. Not really knowing what was wrong I did not attempt to give it full throttle. I figured stale gas could be the issue so I decided to burn the tank out. As I had gotten close to using all of the fuel I believe I was able to get over 7000 RPMs without trouble and the ski performed much better. I have to verify my records but I believe that I replaced the spark plugs just prior to storing the vehicle. You think I should replace them again in that case?

Thanks again!

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    absolutely... don't take offense to this, it's not AT YOU... just in your mind, think about it... do you want to winterize a ski and fog the engine and put new plugs in there with all that crap and old gas?

first time out, run a set of old spark plugs, then swap in new ones after all the fogging fluids and bad gas has been burned up...

it is the old fuel that is making your ski run crappy!!! i went out about a month ago and had the exact same problem as you, bout 3/4 or a tank of old fuel with no stabilizer added for the winter months. put new gas in and take it out for a minute to run the old fuel out of the lines and whatnot then pull it out and put the new plugs in and it will run like a champ again

Joel

Had the same problem with our 2005 RXT. Wouldn't get above 4000 to 4500 rpm. Ran like ****. Ended up being a fouled plug. After we changed the plugs, ran like a top.

Question Thanks for the advice and help!

Thanks for the helpful advice! Must say that while I love to ride these beasts I'm quite ignorant when it comes to these engines . After poking around it looks like the Denso IXU27 spark plugs are the right ones for a 2004 RXP - is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by skitahoe View Post
    Thanks for the helpful advice! Must say that while I love to ride these beasts I'm quite ignorant when it comes to these engines . After poking around it looks like the Denso IXU27 spark plugs are the right ones for a 2004 RXP - is that right?
    If you are stock then IXU24`s, if you are modded ie: air filter kit, exhaust mods, prop etc, then go with the IXU27`s, they are a colder plug...PR...

also if you are in very warm climates I might go with IXU27`s even if stock, JMHO...PR...

Spark plugs

Well... went to 3 different parts stores today in search of the Denso plugs to no avail. Napa did find the NGK DCPR8E plugs and ordered them for me. They should arrive tomorrow. Cost for 3 plugs was just under $10.00. Is there any significant difference between these plugs and the Denso's?

Cheers...

i had the same problem 1 week ago... was bad gas and bad plugs apparently

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information