Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

1997 Polaris SL1050 no spark, Upgrade Ignition Problems - Please Help

Hi, I am new to this site and recently bought a SL 1050 with no spark and ordered a new upgrade kit from the US. Will this fix my problem and is it common? Also the ski has been sitting around for a few years and I have compressioned tested with one being very low, will this get better oncentre started?
    Last edited by K447; 03-16-2015 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Thread title, merged threads

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Where are you located? Click on My Profile in the top right corner to set your location in your profile, makes it easier to remember who is from where

While it is common for the original ignition to fail, that is not the only possible reason for no spark. By far the most common cause is a weak battery. These Polaris red engines need a very strong battery. Otherwise the engine cranks but there is no spark.

Low compression generally does not 'fix itself'. What are the compression readings for each cylinder?

When testing compression the battery must be strong, all spark plugs out, and throttle held wide open while cranking.
    Last edited by K447; 03-08-2015 at 12:03 AM.

Hi, Im from the UK. The battery was knackered so we turned it on a boost pack for now and new battery has been ordered. I purchased an ignition upgrade kit, cdi and stator from the US as we have no parts suppliers in the UK. Sad really as they are good skis. I am still waiting for the parts to cLear customs so don't know if it will fix the problem. Piston 2 was low however after putting a littLe oil down the head it was back up to about 137. No 3 nearest the front end is still low and not holding compression but can't telo now as removed the stator.. I know with 2 strokes sometimes a little oil down the head works? This is my ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Hi, Im from the UK. The battery was knackered so we turned it on a boost pack for now and new battery has been ordered. I purchased an ignition upgrade kit, cdi and stator from the US as we have no parts suppliers in the UK. Sad really as they are good skis. I am still waiting for the parts to cLear customs so don't know if it will fix the problem.

Piston 2 was low however after putting a littLe oil down the head it was back up to about 137. No 3 nearest the front end is still low and not holding compression but can't telo now as removed the stator.. I know with 2 strokes sometimes a little oil down the head works? This is my ski.
    Adding oil to a cylinder can increase the reading on a test gauge but that does not change the compression when the engine is actually running. The idea of a compression test is to reveal potential issues inside the engine. Adding oil can mask compression leakage past the piston rings.

Note that cylinders are numbered from front to back. MAG cylinder at the front is number one, and so forth. PTO cylinder at the rear is number three.
    Last edited by K447; 03-08-2015 at 12:02 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    PTO cylinder at the rear is number three.
    PTO. A direct result of posting at 1 am, I am sure......

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    PTO cylinder at the rear is number three.
    PTO. A direct result of posting at 1 am, I am sure......
    And the ever amusing automatic spell check system

Polaris SL1050 1997 Upgrade Ingnition Problems - Please Help

Hi, I have recently installed new CDI and stator kit to my Polaris as before there was no spark what so ever. I have checked all grounds are clean and it appears I am not getting any voltage back from the stator (purple wire) to the CDI. Am I trying the right wire, is there another way of testing this. I also have 3 x ground points - large black wire to the engine earth, one smaller black wire to the Electrical Box and from the electric box goes back to the stator (does this sound right as we found a lose one from the negative battery terminal plus a lose one with a fuse in lying in the bottom of the ski. Is the stator dead??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    Hi, I have recently installed new CDI and stator kit to my Polaris as before there was no spark what so ever.

I have checked all grounds are clean and it appears I am not getting any voltage back from the stator (purple wire) to the CDI. Am I trying the right wire, is there another way of testing this?

I also have 3 x ground points - large black wire to the engine earth, one smaller black wire to the Electrical Box and from the electric box goes back to the stator (does this sound right as we found a loose one from the negative battery terminal plus a lose one with a fuse in lying in the bottom of the ski. Is the stator dead??
    The engine casing is the ground reference, not the battery negative post.

All grounding wires connect to the engine case.

No thin black grounding wires (when using the updated ignition kit) connect to the battery negative post, only the heavy black cable.

Disconnect all the stator wires.
    What is the ohms resistance between the stator purple wire and engine ground?

What is the ohms between the black stator wire and engine ground?

Have you inspected the inline Deutsch connector between stator and electrical box (if there is one)?

Can anyone tell the exactly how the electrical system works as I am not getting any volts back out the cdi to the hall effects? I get confusing info with one person saying I have been ripped off as bought a upgraded igniton and it's probably a china copy..I have a 3 cylinder sl 1050 1997, should I get the coI pack to?

Hi, I have realised I am getting no 8 volts from the CDI to the hall effects. Sorry I can't answer your ohms questons as don't have the ski here. I have live going into the CDI?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information