Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Groco intercooler strainer clogged, then cleaned, now missing RPMs at WOT

Speedster SCIC has been turning a solid 8100rpms/58mph ever since installing a new Solas impeller & SS wear ring. It was running just as strong today, until I started getting a exhaust temp warning. I thought I had an intake weed problem, so I put it back on the lift and cleaned out a big clump of Hydrilla and went back out. The alarm came on again, while I was towing a stranded jet skier back to the public dock. I ran low RPMs for 2-3 minutes with the alarm on to get back to my lift. Back on the lift, not too many weeds, but I totally forgot I had installed the Groco Intercooler Strainer a week ago. It was totally compacted with sand, preventing any water from flowing through. I cleaned the strainer out, then performed a flush, just in case, and let it cool down a tad.

Now, back out on the water, the RPMs at WOT are only between 7800 and 7900, and of course my top speed has fallen to 54mph. The supercharger is whistling along fine, BTW.

Because of a water deficit, it is fairly shallow backing out of my dock (2'), so I know to be cafeful and keep an eye on that filter now, but what could have happened? Did enough sand get through the filter to clog the intercooler to the point that a flush isn't going to clean it enough? Or, God forbid, did some kind of engine damage occur that is limiting hp output now? Opinions would be appreciated.

-Scott
    '07 Speedster 150 215hp

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    If you had that much sand around you may have done some Internal Wear Ring Extruding, in other words you might have sucked a bunch of sand throught the pump.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra250 Tn View Post
    If you had that much sand around you may have done some Internal Wear Ring Extruding, in other words you might have sucked a bunch of sand throught the pump.
    Thats what I would guess as well. Wear ring sandblasted

Sand can kill a brand new stainless steel wear ring that fast??? Although, if so, it would still be a better prospect than engine damage. The boat is running pretty good, just missing some on the top end, and now that you mention it, cavitating a little more out of the hole. But my stock wear ring looked shot when I took it out, and it didn't affect performance this bad.

Does the freezer trick work for the stainless?, cause I had to really hammer it in, can't imagine it coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by VX1 View Post
    Sand can kill a brand new stainless steel wear ring that fast??? Although, if so, it would still be a better prospect than engine damage. The boat is running pretty good, just missing some on the top end, and now that you mention it, cavitating a little more out of the hole. But my stock wear ring looked shot when I took it out, and it didn't affect performance this bad.

Does the freezer trick work for the stainless?, cause I had to really hammer it in, can't imagine it coming out.
    I doubt sand killed your stainless wear ring, I sucked up rocks and just had to wet sand the scrathes out, clearance was still .009 at the largest area.
    Look at your prop...a damaged blade would do it...PR...

Banned User

I never tried the freezer trick with a SS ring but the theory is the same, so it should work

+1
    I guess a "damaged" or "bent" blade in the "too steep" direction could limit rpms, but when dealing with just "excessive" tolorences, wouldn't one expect to over-rev, not under-rev?

I didnt notice you had a SS ring in your post, sorry...NO WAY sand hurt a SS ring.

freezer won't work for a SS wear ring, the aluminum pump housing will contract more than SS when put in a freezer. It will however expand more than SS when heated...

if it's not difficult to work on, it would be good idea to disassemble the exhaust and inspect hoses, the waterbox for a burn/broken baffle and backflush the intercooler.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information