Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: spun bearing

spun bearing

Did my home work on this, but seems I cant find an answer. New factory mtr ( 1.5hrs) spun crank bearing. Cases compromised a few mm on one crank journal. Fixable? Oversized bearings? Cylinders are flawless.

+1
    not easily fixable, did it spin the thrust bearing? Usually cheaper to buy another set of cases.

+1
    someone didn't check the bearing clearances when they assembled it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Seadoodoc View Post
    Cases compromised a few mm on one crank journal. Fixable?
    IMO: When it comes to a "main" bearing spinning, my rule of thumb is replace block (if personal ski). If the crank has some discolorations in that area, new crank! The discoloration means the cranks heat treatment has been altered and no resurfacing will fix that (maybe with hard plating).

Anything can be "fixed" and if these blocks were mega rare, it would be the best option. Lucky for us, they are not. But fixing would require line-boring...lucky for you there's a chain tensioner. If you wanted to gamble, send block and crank to machinists for evaluation.

Another reason this happened is due to oil contamination (dirt/debris pre or post assembly). But no matter what caused this, you need to replace ALL cap bearings and completely clean and flush oil passages.

BTW: Was this a new re-manufactured "factory motor" or (green) brand new...NEW?

5. +1 by:

Thanks. Makes sense. Factory new mtr. Crashed and swamped at 0.5 hrs. dealer flushed mtr. Made it 30 more mins and bearing went.

Been sitting in barn for 8 years.

+1
    Crashed and swamped at 0.5 hrs. dealer flushed mtr. Made it 30 more mins and bearing went.
    Yeah, that is an important detail you left out. No point in bringing up the fact that I would not have let that dealer flush the motor. I realize you are new to these 4tec motors, but once you break it all down...its just like any 4-stroke motor...except bad ass for 1.5L

Either way...this sucks big time. I feel your pain. Hang on a sec...this isn't the xpl project motor is it?

Been sitting in barn for 8 years.
    Wait...new motor been sitting in a barn for 8 years? Did you prime it with oil before running?

Are you holding back any other important details...like I used hand soap with pumice as assembly lube?

+1
    Thanks. Makes sense. Factory new mtr. Crashed and swamped at 0.5 hrs. dealer flushed mtr. Made it 30 more mins and bearing went.
    water got somewhere it shouldn't have been.

wasnt me..lol picked up this tank for $1k. Buddy one buys Seadoo for 13k. 30 mins in first ride slams into dumbass "buddy two" doing 180 spins on wakeboard boat. Totals wakeboard boat. Seadoo survived light damage, but swamped mtr. Insurance pays full and says keep SD. Been sitting dissasembled all this time.

+1
    Did dealer replace the oil cooler when they installed the new engine? If not the metal from the previous spin bearing will ruin the next engine

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information