Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Considering a '15 Yamaha VXR

Hello all, been reading this forum for a few days now which has assisted in my pre-purchase research. I am really close to purchasing my first PWC, which I have narrowed down to the VXR. Not new to riding, just new to owning. I was able to get what I think is a pretty decent price at $13,100 locked in until the end of the month with 5 year warranty, trailer, cover, taxes, and all fees. Basically it is water ready.

The issue is not if I can afford it, but will it be worth it? The frugal side of me needs further justification. I live in South East Michigan and the ski will be at a marina with a friend of mines boat on Lake St. Clair. I also will have the opportunity to ride on inland lakes in Northern Michigan and on Lake Huron.

I weighed the pros and cons of buying someone else's used ski for $5,000 - $7,000 or so and ultimately decided I don't want to buy someones problem. Also the 5 year warranty on the new machine is a nice perk.

So my question is first and foremost, how is that price of $13,100 and also anyone else been in my shoes? Want to ride, but hesitant on committing to the purchase...I know you gotta pay to play.

Thank you

+1
    I bought my 2012 on impulse and have not had a single regret except that I did not buy one sooner. Maybe next year I'll trade up for a '15 or '16 VXR.

+1
    That doesn't seem to bad. Prices seem to change by state. More dealers equals maybe more bargaining. The warranty is directly from Yamaha and costs the dealer nothing, at least until 3/31/15. Looks like the cover, @$200, they're throwing in. Add in taxes and they might be knocking another $100 off MSRP. I'm guessing the average trailer is $700 and hopefully at least galvanized. The only way I was able to get cheaper last month was buying a left over VXR. Dealer service also means a lot especially with the 5 year warranty.

+1
    That looks like a pretty good price to me. Ask them what the Costco program price is or if they don't participate, call Costco and find a dealer who does and price for comparison. But basically, the VXR lists for $11799, a new trailer is like $1200 - 1500 before any discount, the 5 year warranty can be had for $550, and I don't know what taxes and fees are in Michigan, so the whole thing should come to north of $14,500 to close to $15,000 before discount, out the door. If that's true, I'd say $13,100 out the door ain't bad. On another thread, some guy just mentioned some really good pricing at a MO boat show going on right now, so you might check that out.

+1
    The fact that the '14 on VXR has the newer hull more like the FX series would keep me there.... with regard to how it rides, looks are personal...

+1
    If you care about going as fast as possible then it's not the right ski. If you want to just cruise around and aren't competitive then it's the right ski for you. I bought a new '14 VXR last year and realized it wasn't right (because I'm competitive and want to go fast). So 3 days ago I traded it in and bought a new '14 FZR for basically the same out the door price that I paid for the new VXR. You can get a new '14 FZR for around $13.5k out the door and it'll rip a VXR apart. It's all in what your planned uses are for the ski. VXR is a TON of fun, extremely reliable and cheap to own.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by adboyd06 View Post
    Hello all, been reading this forum for a few days now which has assisted in my pre-purchase research. I am really close to purchasing my first PWC, which I have narrowed down to the VXR. Not new to riding, just new to owning. I was able to get what I think is a pretty decent price at $13,100 locked in until the end of the month with 5 year warranty, trailer, cover, taxes, and all fees. Basically it is water ready.

The issue is not if I can afford it, but will it be worth it? The frugal side of me needs further justification. I live in South East Michigan and the ski will be at a marina with a friend of mines boat on Lake St. Clair. I also will have the opportunity to ride on inland lakes in Northern Michigan and on Lake Huron.

I weighed the pros and cons of buying someone else's used ski for $5,000 - $7,000 or so and ultimately decided I don't want to buy someones problem. Also the 5 year warranty on the new machine is a nice perk.

So my question is first and foremost, how is that price of $13,100 and also anyone else been in my shoes? Want to ride, but hesitant on committing to the purchase...I know you gotta pay to play.

Thank you
    It seems as though what you are really struggling with is not the price of the ski itself, but the depreciation and/or cost of ownership associated with owning a watercraft. Would you agree? If that is the case, you might have a mental breakdown when you see what your ski is worth after just one year.

Purchasing a used ski does not necessarily equate to the purchase of someone else's problem. The last used ski I purchased had 8 months left on the original 1 year warranty and an additional 3 years of BEST. The ski I purchased previous to that had time left on that specific BEST warranty as well.

If you are 100% set on purchasing a new ski, you could consider a used trailer to save some money. This is especially applicable if the trailer's only use will be a trip to the marina at the beginning of the season, a trip to the marina at the end of the season, and winter storage. You don't need a 2015 trailer for that. Most people sell their used skis with a trailer included, which drives the value of used trailers down significantly.

If you are 100% set on purchasing a new ski and the trailer savings does not go far enough to feel satisfied, consider purchasing a left-over 2014 model.

I bought the same package in 2012 (VXS) near Toledo, OH for $11,300 OTD and thought it was a good deal back then in Aug. 2012. I missed out on two good riding months that Summer. Fast Forward: you are now getting much more ski with the 2015 model- new hull which I hear is awesome and can probably handle Lake Huron chop much better compared to the 2012 hull, adjustable trim, RIDE, a few more gallons of fuel in the tank, and are getting it much earlier in the season than I did. I am sure I am forgetting a few improvements. Factor in 4% a year for inflation, and from my perspective that price is pretty good. Money comes and goes in life, do what you like to do while you are able to do it. And don't forget the ribbon delete

+1
    I too was on the fence about dropping $15k on a "toy" that here in Upstate NY, I can really only use for about half of the year. I ride in the cold even, generally late March through late October. I pulled the trigger two years ago and have ZERO regrets. If you can truly afford it, do it.

Only thing I would recommend is maybe looking for a 14 FZ instead. Would probably be the same $$ or less and much easier to mod.

Thank you all for your input, you have made some very valid points. Consensus seems to be that the price is good and that I will not regret the purchase.

Going as fast as possible and modifying this machine (or any machine) isn’t really on my radar… I know, the mod bug might hit as it does with most. I will take that into consideration but the reliability and reduced fuel consumption is positive, especially with a stock top of speed of around 66pmh +/-. Which is not the fastest thing on the water, nor do I have the desire to be.

I definitely understand the depreciation, the fact that anything in the water is not an investment and that there are expenses associated (fuel, maintenance, insurance, etc.).

I’ll take a look at the FZ and get some prices, doesn't hurt to have all of the options.

Again thank you everyone for your input.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information