Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

96 yamaha waveblaster II surf?????

Just picked up a mint 96 blaster II how good is this ski in the surf? I am i looking to jump with it, i know there are alot better blasters out there but will this suit my needs? Its also stock so what mods should i start with thanks ..

+1
    Excellent hole shot. From 0 to 40 is really hard to beat even in the stock form. No top end due to a large wetted surface. This same hull makes it handle unbelieveably. The ladies really love them because they are not fast but are quick and handle so well. If you are going to race with it for fun with your buds, make sure you have a very short, tight course. This is where the boat lives.

The quick accelleration you would think would make it a great wave jumper, and in a way it is. The problem is that it has a tendency to land flat, and so the landing is conspicuously hard. The hull is designed to keep the boat hooked up, so it really has a good ride even in 18 " of chop. You can feel the water riding the WBII. Expect a lot of hand and elbow fatigue because of then energy transfer from the boat to you.

In a nutshell, it is like riding a go-cart on the water.

I had a pipe and flame arrestors on mine. It got quicker, but not a whole lot faster.... to much wetted hull. IMHO, the mods were not worth the money and should have just kept it stock.

The ski is light so i should not have to much trouble pulling back so i don't flat land no??

The problem with the 96 is no trim....they fixed that in the 97 model. Unless you can install a trim kit in the 96 some way I don't think it will make a good wave jumper for you...probably a 95 XP(same price and/or top speed range) would have been a better option for wave jumping. And maybe a little more $ a 96XP would have been even better. It's a nice looking one though, I had one before. It's about as reliable a ski there is out there.
    JOE

She'll Jump!

Because of the lack of trim and almost 0 degree nozzle, the ski wants to plow through the wave and land flat.
    But, you can still get the nose in the air with the right technique. Because of the great holeshot, you can idle up the wave and accelerate up the face, which will allow the nose to follow the contour and stand the ski straight up in the air. It's a very soft landing on the tail of the ski.
    If you carry too much speed into the wave, the nose will crash through and you will land flat. Ouch.
    I had a blast on a borowed Blaster II in some good 6 foot waves. Reboarding is a lot easier than the original Blaster.

Eric

Nice Yea i did it again went and bought a ski without doing my research thats what you get for being a jerkoff. i Wanna kick myself but atleast ive had no one complain about the ski. Prob keep it for a season and get what i really need next.

Arrow Waveblaster Video

I had one, never got to go in the ocean with it, but I liked it alot.

+1
    I had one and jumped surf constantly with it. IMO the best surf jumper ever built

+1
    here is an old pic

Never had a problem landing tail down. Just pull back when you go over the lip of the wave. You got a good ski. Don't sweat it.

I miss it just for the surf. I don't like jumping GPR's

The WBII has a secure engine hatch
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jumpinjim.JPG 
Views:	2670 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	22104  
    Last edited by spud; 04-19-2007 at 09:29 PM.

Best ever built???
    I took the blaster out for the first time today. The ski almost plows the water at idle i have to hit atleast 10-15 to get the stern out of the water. Is this normal? I tried to hit a small wake comin at me and the entire stern dipped into the water felt like it was diving down. I could not imagine what it would do on a nice big breaker (feels like i am gonna eat alot of water).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information