Help Guys!! 2007 Waverunner VX Deluxe

New Waverunner owner here, although I own an '09 Yamaha 212SS with the MR-1 motors, so I'm somewhat familiar with the engines. I picked up (stole) this ski on Saturday for $1800, basically what the Blue Book on the trailer was. Long story, guy was declaring bankruptcy, nice guy, known him a few years. Anyway, the guy told me he hadn't run the ski in almost 2 years and it had a dead battery. Today, I decided to tackle the essentials; Spark Plugs, New Battery, and Oil.... There is an overwhelming amount of oil pooled in the bottom of the hull and when I checked the Oil reservoir, it was bone dry. I figured that it most likely had an oil leak somewhere, possibly at the filter. This is where things went bad. I removed the Oil Filter and it was full of gasoline... I mean like 95% Gas, 5% Oil. The plugs smelled of fuel and were a little wet with a combination of fuel and oil. I don't have a bore scope to check the cylinders but wouldn't be opposed to picking one up. Do I have a ring failure somewhere? I know I can check this with a compression tester but figured I'd check on the forums before rushing off to the parts store to pick one up.

Also, I found a disconnected line of some sort and I can't seem to track it down. It looks like a breather of some sort but I have no clue, so I'll attach pics. Lead me in the right direction. If all is lost and the engine needs to be rebuilt, no big deal, I'll pull out the checkbook and DIY... Coming from an Gear Head tuning drag cars, I'm sure I can tackle the job with the right manual.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150309_193943.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	21.3 KB 
ID:	353154Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150309_193952.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	353155

The pic on the left shows the disconnected line. The pic on the right shows where the other end is attached to (Under the rear of the seat on the right side)

Thanks to anyone who can lead me in the right direction with these issues.

+1
    That port at the rear near the back seat is the battery vent tube connection. Remove fuel injectors and have them pressure tested. Possible leaking. If it was me, I would pull the motor and check oil and clean as needed.

+1
    Yep that is just the battery vent tube. If you use a new sealed battery you can just disregard. O yea, welcome to the hulk.

After speaking with my closest dealer today, the Service Technician said that if it had sat for 2 years it's possible that the ethanol in the fuel caused some corrosion in the injectors causing them to open and bleed fuel into the cylinders. In time, he said, the fuel would pass beyond the rings and end up in the oil filter. I'm not sure I totally agree with him.... Isn't the oil filter primed/filled when the engine is running? I do agree about the possibility of corrosion though... Now I need to find someone who can flow test my injectors, any suggestions in the San Antonio area?

+1
    You can pull the rail off, tap start to energize the pump and look for drips or spray coming from the injectors.

I've had worn injectors leak and the ski is hard to start and sends fuel out the exhaust.

Haven't seen gas in the oil filter, let us know how it goes.

Thanks for the advice guys...

Just a little update. I charged the battery, which luckily held a charge, and was able to get power to the Instrument Cluster, pulled the plugs out, and disconnected the fuel injectors. The ski has exactly 52 hours on it, I'M SHOCKED!! I was able to bump the start button and could see the pistons moving, thankfully it wasn't locked up. Right now, I'm monitoring the Oil level hoping that the oil was leaking from the filter O Ring. I'll keep posted with what I can find.

Bad news yesterday....

I ran a compression check on all 4 cylinders. Cylinder 1 showed 190psi, Cylinder 2 showed 70psi, Cylinder 3 showed 190psi, and Cylinder 4 showed 190psi. Looks like I'm looking at a rebuild. Put a call into a local mechanic who specializes in Waverunners who quoted me about $800 for an overhaul. Is this price ridiculous? My Yamaha dealer quoted me $120 per hour just for labor and said ballpark 7-8 hours, are they over or under estimating?

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    If it sat that long you might have a valve sticking, pull the valve cover....$800 would be dirt cheap.....

800 is a good deal. Should have turned it over by hand (screw driver in the coupling) first to ensure no sticky valves off the bat. Using the power from starter can break them if stuck.

Could be a simple head gasket but likely a stuck valve.

+1
    Keep us updated Neo. I'm curious to see how this turns out for you. You sound like you're going to have that ski working good as new before spring riding season gets in full gear. I'm a new owner myself and live in your area. Maybe we can ride together sometime once you get your ski going. I agree with kwtony and say $800 for an overhaul is very reasonable, especially considering you got the ski for such a bargain in the 1st place.

Thread Information