+1

Polaris SL 1050 drive shaft removal?

I bought a 97 SL 1050 for parts and I pulled the pump and the drive shaft slipped out of the impeller but is stuck in the coupler that is attached to the motor. I've looked at the OEM diagrams and see no clips or reasons the spline shouldn't just slide right out of the coupler. I've also searched here and the only thing I've found was to "just keep wiggling it and it will come out"... That's not working! The shaft has about a 1/2 inch of play in and out of the coupler but when it gets to the end on it's way out, it clanks like a metallic feel and sound like there's some sort of c-clip or ring on it, although that's not supposed to be there. Also, I can't see anything of that sort when looking very close at it. I can't pull the motor till I get this fricken shaft out.

What's the deal, does anyone know why this is happening and what I need to do to remove the shaft?

Has the shaft possibly worn sideways and is binding within...? That doesn't make sense since the shaft slides in and out about a half inch before it binds...

Please help ASAP!

+1
    There is no sort of clip holding it in. There is always some wiggle room but that doesn't mean that the very end of the shaft isn't buggered up. The end of the shaft is probably binding for some reason. You have to find a way to just pull it out of there with a lot of force.

+1
    Thanks, CrazyA. I've used vise grips with a pry bar and now vise grips on the back end of the shaft with tie down straps wrapped around it and slamming it backwards and nothing....! I mean this thing wont budge. What else can I do? Tap on the coupler while someone pulls on the shaft? Use a come along?

Any tips or tricks are appreciated? I don't want to get out the oxy/ace and cut the shaft but I cant get the motor out till the shaft is out...

+1
    Can't you remove/unscrew the PTO Coupler from the crank shaft, slide the coupler and drive shaft back, pull the motor, then slide the coupler and drive shaft forward to remove.....?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Can't you remove/unscrew the PTO Coupler from the crank shaft, slide the coupler and drive shaft back, pull the motor, then slide the coupler and drive shaft forward to remove.....?
    That's a possibility and I thought of that but I will have to figure a way to lock the motor up without damaging anything because I want to sell the parts. If I were able to unscrew it then remove the motor then I could bang the coupler off with a hammer. Maybe just stuff a bunch of rags in the intake ports of the case to lock the motor. Does anyone know which direction the threads are on that coupler?

+1
    Standard thread - Counter clockwise to remove.. Pop the head off of the PTO cylinder and put some rags in there. Make sure the piston is already on its up stroke as you rotate it counterclockwise when you load it up. Bolt the head back in place and get a wrench on the coupler. Do not use any of the other cylinders or you risk twisting the crank out of phase.

+1
    Coupler is a regular lefty-loosey thread. If the PTO(rear) cylinder is still on... pop the head off and rotate the engine over (counter-clockwise from the rear) until the piston comes up and covers all the ports. Then stuff as many rags in the cylinder as you can and bolt the head back on. Now as you work on loosening the coupler... the crank won't turn. There's a version of this called the rope method where you feed rope in the spark plug hole... but since your disassembling anyways, easier to pull the head and stuff it with rags... quicker.

Cheers!

+1
    I'll do that. Great information, thanks guys!

Thread Information