Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Bought a 97 Polaris SL 1050 for a part out - Mistake?

I bought a 1997 Polaris SL 1050 to part out and sell on E-Bay. The boat was in great condition Hull wise and mechanically too. All the parts are in great shape too. It is from Iowa and never saw salt water. It sat in a garage for the last 10 years, never in sun.

I got the ski and a Triton LXT aluminum trailer for $400.

So, I've placed listings on ebay for about half the parts and after 4-5 days I've had not one buyer for anything... I've listed these parts at below just about everyone else as well with great pics and description.

Now that I've checked I see that maybe only half of the OEM parts are still available. Now, I'm wondering, Is this particular ski just being junked? Is there any abundance of these skis anymore or is it one of those deals where when there's a problem, it's not worth fixing because there's no parts available anymore so send it to the landfill?

I think you get the idea. Did I buy a jet ski that's parts are basically worthless? Or maybe it's just a little to early in the year and people only buy jet ski parts during the summer?

I'm new to the ebay thing and really have no idea. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

+1
    From talking to other members here, there there seems to be a glut of used Polaris parts on the market. More supply than demand. I'm sure the others more knowledgeable with chime in. If it was in such great condition,why not get it running, and sell it as whole ? I know from my area ( Houston ) people are always looking for a good running jet ski in 1000.00 to 1500.00 range. Just a thought.

+1
    You don't have the good parts listed. Where is the CDI and Stator? Cylinder/piston combos? Crankshaft? MFD? With the exception of the jet pump, the rest of the stuff is pretty common and therefore scrap....

I'd be interested in the wear ring if you split the pump up......

I would think you could sell the trailer for $400 alone...

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    paid too much to part it out. Had you got it to be a decent runner, as previously stated...come summer you could have found somebody that would have given you close to a grand or maybe more for it.

after your strip down labor and dealing with ebay weenies, you re going to end up making $5 an hour. Luckily for you the trailer was worth a couple of hundred as it would certainly need tires. What's it gonna cost you to take the hull to the dump?

The days of making some big bucks on Polaris parts are about over. I'm sure Marto is trying to figure out how to retire now as his virtual oil has dropped to $10 a pound.

very very few people will drop $500 to have an ignition on a 20 year old ski fixed anymore. Loans have gotten _a little_ looser in the past couple of years as I am seeing far more new skis coming to the lake then the older ones.

Over 20% of my income last seasons were on preps and winterizing. The days of me string hundred of feet of fuel hose and rebuilding carbs in old seadoos is about over. I only did two fuel system reworks last season. In 2010 I did about 50. Last season I did the more 4-tec repairs then ever before.

Market shift is becoming more apparent.

tell me..when was the last time you saw a Kawasaki 750 street bike around?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    You don't have the good parts listed. Where is the CDI and Stator? Cylinder/piston combos? Crankshaft? MFD? With the exception of the jet pump, the rest of the stuff is pretty common and therefore scrap....

I'd be interested in the wear ring if you split the pump up......

I would think you could sell the trailer for $400 alone...
    Wow, you did some research...Lol. Your right though, I haven't listed most of the "good stuff" as I haven't been able to get the fricken drive shaft out of the motor coupler yet so I can remove the motor.

Anyway, what you are saying is what I figured. Live and learn. It's not like I'm gonna go jump off a bridge over $400 although I know I will get at least that back with the trailer and all. Trailer will probably go for around $300 out here. It's disappointing though and allot of work for nothing. Big time learning experience for me though regarding E-Bay so regardless of what I end up making it's worth it to me because I plan to sell allot of other stuff going forward on ebay and amazon, etc.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    paid too much to part it out. Had you got it to be a decent runner, as previously stated...come summer you could have found somebody that would have given you close to a grand or maybe more for it.

after your strip down labor and dealing with ebay weenies, you re going to end up making $5 an hour. Luckily for you the trailer was worth a couple of hundred as it would certainly need tires. What's it gonna cost you to take the hull to the dump?

The days of making some big bucks on Polaris parts are about over. I'm sure Marto is trying to figure out how to retire now as his virtual oil has dropped to $10 a pound.

very very few people will drop $500 to have an ignition on a 20 year old ski fixed anymore. Loans have gotten _a little_ looser in the past couple of years as I am seeing far more new skis coming to the lake then the older ones.

Over 20% of my income last seasons were on preps and winterizing. The days of me string hundred of feet of fuel hose and rebuilding carbs in old seadoos is about over. I only did two fuel system reworks last season. In 2010 I did about 50. Last season I did the more 4-tec repairs then ever before.

Market shift is becoming more apparent.

tell me..when was the last time you saw a Kawasaki 750 street bike around?
    Thanks for your thoughts! You sound like you know what you are talking about and allot of what you said is what I was thinking too. Just wish I would've posted this thread BEFORE I bought the ski, lol. I just rebuilt a 97 Wave Venture 1100 from the crank up and didn't want to go thru that again. I thought about it though. If I would've I would've been at best break even when selling. Although I would've had a great second ski...

Bottom line, next time I consider buying something to part out I will post about it on forums like this before I buy. Great forum, btw!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by trxxx250r View Post
    wish I would've posted this thread BEFORE I bought the ski
    That should be the name of the forum.....

+1
    You can also post the stuff for sale on here, recommended at a reduced price of course, since you won't be paying ebay fees. And, you might be able to help another member out.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by trxxx250r View Post
    wish I would've posted this thread BEFORE I bought the ski
    That should be the name of the forum.....
    LOL!!!

+1
    You can also post the stuff for sale on here, recommended at a reduced price of course, since you won't be paying ebay fees. And, you might be able to help another member out.....
    Good idea! But in the mean time if someone needs parts go to ebay and message me you saw this thread and I will work with you as best I can...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information