PWC Lift - Drive on Dock

In a couple of weeks I will be picking up a new 2015 Yamaha FZR. Before I launch it for the season I need to get some sort of lift or drive on dock for it and was hoping to get some feedback.

We are in a no wake zone. The dock is made of steel angle framing that I welded myself a few years ago floating on plastic drums with a carport for a cover. It does already have power ran to it.

I was originally looking at a conventional floating air lift until this weekend when I went to the St. Louis boat show and saw a Permaport drive on dock on display.

I was originally not even considering a drive on dock because I had heard of NanoXcel hulls being damaged by the wheels along the sides of the hull. The Permaport has 6 much wider rollers down the center which seems like it would be better on the hull. My main concern is whether the sides of the hull will rub on the lift with enough force to scratch or damage the hull during loading/unloading.

Has anyone had any experience with this drive on dock or have any recommendations on others to take a look at?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

+1
    My main concern would be the scratches the hull will end up getting. Also we have issues with Muskrats in the fall getting into boats. I went with a Horizontal lift.
    Jet skiing is a water sport so you will get wet one way or another.

+1
    Hello Sighbot, and welcome to the Hulk. I want to give you some thinks to think about. A drive-on lift sounds & looks cool ...The pros although not many are; In most cases easy to drive right up on. Well that about it. The cons far out number the pros.... I have found that it takes a lot of power to charge @ and mount the floating ... so called drive on lifts. Trust me it is hard on the bow & hull. Then the wear & tear (scratches really do start to appear after a few mounts). Then when it sits on the drive on lift it still is and has exposure to elements like crap washing up from rolling waves .... in a No-Wake zoned area. Ask me how I know. Ha Ha Trash like leaves, old floating paper & plastic can & will wash up into your pump/drive system and you may never know about it. Plus they cost a lot. You can find in most cases a very good used ski lift that will connect to your dock and since you already have power will keep your ski "high & Dry" sorta speak. They have float tanks that can be galvenized steels or molded hard plastic that will long outlast your ski. Also, when the ski is on a somewhat level drive on lift and it has been sitting a while they can be hard to push/shove off ... then once it is freeded up it may just keep going, again ask me how I know. Now your ski is in the water and you are not on it. LOL. Good Luck

Thanks a ton for the feedback guys. Pretty much confirmed the concerns I was having.

All the floating air lifts I have seen around my area run around $2000 or more. Craigslist has a couple used ones around Lake of the Ozarks that appear to be home made but still decent. I live about 40-50 miles west of St. Louis so getting something from the Ozarks would be about a days trip there and back. Not a big issue but still an issue.

To save some money, I would be interested in building my own. A simple steel tube frame welded with some bunk brackets and a couple sideboards to walk on shouldn't cost much. Prices on the lift tanks are tough to come by on the internet. I can get ahold of some plastic barrels for free but I am not sure how well they would hold up with holes cut in them to act as lift tanks and I think I would need 3.

Anyone know about what the actual lift tanks cost off the top of their head or a good place to buy from in the St. Louis area?

Thanks again.

I built my own floating air lift. Guessing I have got 1000.00 in it. That includes the air box that I built also.

I used http://www.krmfg.com/ for my lift tank. They have a decent stock and great people to deal with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PWC lift 1.jpg 
Views:	1073 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	356463

+1
    That looks great. My factory built one looks very much the same. Job well done & @ a great savings.

Thanks. Here is the blower I made...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blower1.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	386.0 KB 
ID:	356867

Now just need 3 more feet of water to get everything floating again so I can use the lift.

Thread Information