Thread: Bulletproofing?

Bulletproofing?

If you want to bulletproof the 4tec internals to spin max 8800/8900, what would you need to do? Not talking about more performance or blueprinting, just solid sleep at night reliabillity.

Where are the absolute weak points of this engine?

I'll kick off with flywheel bolts and valve springs / retainers. Now over to you guys.

Remember, reliabillity over performance (if there is a choice to be made).

Go for it.

+1
    flywheel bolts for sure, good set of stainless valves, dual spring kit and titanium retainers

+1
    I would guess it's like any high performance build. Use quality parts and pay attention to detail. Aftermarket rods or polishing and weight matching the stockers would be a plus. Don't forget weight matching the pistons also. Blueprinting is nothing more than paying close attention to detail and writing down all those assembly measurements for future reference.

+1
    The stock Seadoo internals are pretty good. The head needs beefing up and new flywheel bolts, like Slow said. Just make sure if you are going to be spinning 8800-8900 that you have a good tune and you monitor your afr's.

Cam bolts, flywheel bolts, light weight things in the head and lift out of the throttle crossing wakes. I think it is the sudden RPM shock on the drive when you land that is really hard on these motors.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    The stock Seadoo internals are pretty good. The head needs beefing up and new flywheel bolts, like Slow said. Just make sure if you are going to be spinning 8800-8900 that you have a good tune and you monitor your afr's.
    Running really sweet AFR's off the CMD. Not pushing it too lean at WOT (11.7/11.9).

7. +1 by:

After reading the great work MJ Performance has worked on JPT's engine and the good reports I hear about Slow's work, I more n more thinking I might just bite the bullet and ship it off to one of these guys to give it the once over. All's well at the moment (passing 130hrs now),a little low conpression on one cylinder, but not yet done leak-down to identify cause. I just put it down to general wear & tear.

JPT's engine looks and sounds so nice, maybe I don't need to go as far as him, but it's a nice feeling to have an englne so precision machined and finished.

I treat my ski well, change the oil n filter twice a season, lift off when crossing wakes and throttle back gently. So I think I should get good value from giving the internals some lovin!

Just not sure I can get the best result 'bolting' on new bling internals. Needs bringing together as one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by whittlebeast View Post
    Cam bolts, flywheel bolts, light weight things in the head and lift out of the throttle crossing wakes. I think it is the sudden RPM shock on the drive when you land that is really hard on these motors.

Andy
    I thought the word was to use the stock cam bolts?

Thread Information