Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

1998 Kawasaki 750 XI Sport - tune up

Picked up this 1998 750 XI Sport last weekend. The guy only wanted $100 for it and I've always wanted to build a New Zealand style jet dinghy so I picked it up with plans to use the powerplant for that in the future. Compression was 150 in both cylinders and it fired up briefly when I shot some ether into the carbs. Figured I would post up a log on here on what I do to it to get it running good again. I plan on ordering the oil injection block off plate for it so I can premix. Going to pull the carbs off and give them a good cleaning then I am going to check out the fuel filter, selector switch and maybe put on some new gas lines. I posted some pics below.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150306_182029.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	353249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150306_182013.jpg 
Views:	1010 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	353250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150306_181926.jpg 
Views:	1405 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	353251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150306_182124.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	353252  

+1
    Here is a New Zealand style jet dinghy with the same exact engine as the ski I got.

Nice ultra in the background

+1
    Don't forget the block-off for the crankcase drain.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Yes! I read about that online but couldn't find the part for it on eBay. Do you know where to get them?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by swlamarshrunner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Yes! I read about that online but couldn't find the part for it on eBay. Do you know where to get them?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-650...0967e6&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Crankcase-bl...1db3fc&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-650...6dcf9a&vxp=mtr

+1
    Hey guys, I know I started this thread months ago but I just now started messing with this ski. I pulled the carbs off and cleaned them out and then put new oil injection lines on and primed the lines. The engine starts right up and idles good out of water. Takes a second to start in water and if I barely choke it, it helps. It takes off good but has a random sputter before acting like it starts starving for fuel if held wide open for a few seconds. When I back off the throttle it runs fine again. Compression was 150/150 at the start of the day and after running it and water testing, it was 140/145. Not sure if that's normal or not to drop after its hot. I took a temp reading on top of the cylinder head and both were between 140-150*. I could touch them and the exhaust but could not hold my hand there.

It seems like it is running a little lean and starving for fuel after holding it wide open. I plan on changing out the fuel lines from the tank to fuel selector to carbs. I also plan to clean fuel selector valve. What else can I do besides the crankcase block off to make this thing run without a hiccup?

+1
    Forgot to mention that the fuel filter/small gas reservoir stays full of fuel (there's no filter in it if there's supposed to be). So it is getting to that point. There is a small fuel filter before the main line goes to the carbs. I will put a new one on because that could be restricting some fuel.

+1
    You do NOT want to risk running it lean. What do the spark plugs look like? Did you put overhaul kits in the carbs? Sounds like you may have a small lawnmower-type fuel filter. I'd put in a Kawasaki filter. They're expensive, but you can see the fuel and you can backflush them to clean them.

I'd also check/remove the screens on the pickups in the tank, then put some rubber hose on in their place to get the proper length for the pickup tube. There is no need for a filter in the tank if there is a filter downstream.

+1

Update

So Sunday I had a chance to work on it again. Started the day by checking compression with engine cold. Was still 150/150. I did not put overhaul kits in the carbs, only cleaned them out. The rubber black diaphragms seemed to be in ok shape but I will probably replace them. I put in new plugs, replaced all fuel line and cleaned out fuel selector Sunday too. I removed the filter on the tank since I put a new filter on downstream. I put it in the water and the hiccups/starving for fuel symptoms were gone. It runs really good. Crisp throttle response, pulls good out the hole and saw 47mph on the GPS. After putting it up and having a few hours to cool down, the compression was still 150/150 and I ran it for about 20mins. Spark plugs looked good.

The only concern I am having now is the engine running temp. Water sprays out of the pisser and I can touch it but it is hot. Not scalding hot, but pretty hot. The temp on the upper exhaust is 138* and if I go around the cylinder head on the outside of the spark plug in a circle, the temp is anywhere from 130-160* in various places. That is on both cylinder heads. I've done alot of searching but still don't know if this is too hot. I read alot about people saying theirs also runs hot but how hot is too hot?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information