first timer questions on a 99 seadoo gsxl

Hello all, I recently just purchased a 1999 Seadoo GSX Limited. 76 original hours on it, a little over 30 on the new motor. previous owner had the motor bored .5 over with wsm pistons and rings, also has Prok flame arrestors and the oil pump block off kit. I brought it out today despite the cold weather and have a couple questions. first off, I heard this ski is a low 60's ski and my "speedo" didn't clock it higher then 53 on the river. I made sure the motor was warmed up before I got on it. could it be that the water was so cold it wasn't running up to par? I run 93 octane and brp 2 stroke full synthetic. also my fuel gauge wasn't working, is there a way to fix that? thanks ahead for any responses, the more the better!- Aaron

If i knew,...I wouldn't ask sea-one's Avatar
    +1
    Good deal. That ski has great Power to Weight ratio and is very playful and fast when tuned. I personally dont care for the "block off" thing. That ski was approx 61/62 mph new. So here are some ideas and factors..How much do you weigh? how much fuel is onboard? 8lbs a gallon X's 15 is alot. Also the ski, Check the impeller and wear ring for damage. Check the fuel lines, Are they grey? if so change all of them and clean your carbs before you ride it again...Oh and the Fuel, use cheap regular it makes no difference on a stock motor.
    Last edited by sea-one; 03-11-2015 at 09:39 PM.

3. +1 by:

+1
    You've got to GPS it to get an accurate speed. The speedometers are always off.

Your fuel baffle is bad. do a search, and you can find out how to fix it. That ski is the worst Sea Doo out there to pull the baffle out of. If I remember right, you have to lift the tank up and tilt it sideways, and you have to pull the handlebars, and steering assembly and pull the baffle out of that hole.

Make sure you have an oil funnel with a long spout, or you mix fuel in cans and pour it in the ski. Its impossible to pour a ratio rite into that horizontal fuel filler hole. You'll fill the footwell with oil.

5. +1 by:

Hey guys sorry for the late response, but the motor was recently rebuilt by a seadoo dealer in my area, all new lines not the gray ones. I only weigh about 160 and had about 5 gallons of premium in it with the premix. I'm running a 50:1 ratio. I checked the impeller seemed to look good but I was thinking about swapping a Silas in it. It was also it's first find out since being winterized. The previous owner sent me a picture of the skis peak speed at 63 last year. It was also very cold and I know these 2 strokes don't like the cold much. I'm going to follow up on the fuel baffle. All of the input was greatly appreciated!

Also I premix in a 5 gallon jug before I pour the gas/oil mixture into the tank

+1
    2 strokes (and 4 strokes) LOVE the cold weather, but jetting may need to be adjusted depending on how safe it is set up.

+1
    As Sea-One said, check the wear ring. I had a GTX recently that ran fine, and didn't cavitate enough to worry about, but the wear ring was bad. Some Sea Doo wear rings are 2 parts, and the inner plastic can chip away and leave the outer section. This will scrub off a few MPH.

Thread Information