01 Virage TX 1200 FI Electrical Problem

I Have a 01 Virage TX 1200 FI. I bought used. The issue I have is there is no power to the MFD, the start button, bilge pump? I put a new electrical board (part# 2410155) in the black box, new starter seliniod, another mfd. Why wouldn't there be power to anything? I have checked the main grounds and power in the black box. I have power to the circuit breakers. 1/4 amp fuse , starter seliniod. No power to the little 3acw fuse which I think is the bilge pump?
    I think that I may have it wired wrong but I have tried everything I could find to try any help would be greatly appreciated

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Do you have battery power on BOTH sides of the circuit breaker(s)?

Remind me, on your 2001 model are there two Reset buttons (circuit breakers)?

Yes I have power on both sides of both circuit breakers 12 volts. But when I check the bigger of the two fuses it only has 4 volts and the little fuse has 0 volts.
    I hate to bother you with these stupid questions but I'm afraid if I just tear in to it I will create more problems than what I have now.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gstuart View Post
    Yes I have power on both sides of both circuit breakers 12 volts.

But when I check the bigger of the two fuses it only has 4 volts and the little fuse has 0 volts.

I hate to bother you with these stupid questions but I'm afraid if I just tear in to it I will create more problems than what I have now.
    Very first thing is to recheck each color coded wire and verify it is indeed on the correct terminal. Do this with the battery disconnected. It is easy to accidentally connect a wire to the wrong terminal or mis-read which color the wire actually is. If all the connections are as they should be, proceed as follows.

4 volts on both ends of the long glass fuse? That should be a 0.25 Amp fuse for the display, I expect.

4 volts suggests a corroded connection somewhere or a bad fuse. But a bad display fuse would not affect the Bilge button running the bilge pump, nor the starting system.

My guess is that you have a bad connection somewhere. Put the Black probe of your meter on the engine case (find a clean bolt head or other bare metal spot) and use the engine as your electrical ground reference. Keep the black probe on the engine and use the red probe on the electrical box black wires. If the black wires have voltage then the problem is with the grounding. If the black wires are zero volts (relative to the engine case) that is as it should be.

If no problem with black wire voltages then proceed to check each end of each wire around the circuit breakers and feeding the terminal board. Somewhere you should find full battery voltage on one thing and weaker or no voltage on the other side.

Just follow the wiring step by step, often this is enough to identify the broken or corroded wire end.

I will try this after work today. Thank you for the info.

Thread Information