Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    311
    +1
    2

    Battery for my 2002 virage txi 1200

    Sorry if this is posted somewhere, but what is the correct battery for my ski?


  2. #2
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,587
    +1
    1,272
    Deka ETX16 (negative post on left side) or ETX16L (negative post on right side)

    Also sold under other brand names, look for the distinctive battery post design and red plastic cover

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    311
    +1
    2
    Thanks for that. I was hoping not to have to remove the plastic cover that holds the battery down as it covers all writing as well as posts. The Deka I bought was about a year old but I never unhooked it while it sat. The dash panel was still showing data, so it didn't discharge. I put it on my slow charger all night and will see where it sits this am. I also made sure to disconnect the pos cable from the solenoid before charging.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    311
    +1
    2
    Sports Power AGM (pos on right). Got 12.6 volts. Does this seem low? Can't try and start this early as it's only 6am. Will try after work.

  5. #5
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,587
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by MPDano View Post
    ... I was hoping not to have to remove the plastic cover that holds the battery down as it covers all writing as well as posts.

    The Deka I bought was about a year old but I never unhooked it while it sat. The dash panel was still showing data, so it didn't discharge. I put it on my slow charger all night and will see where it sits this am. I also made sure to disconnect the pos cable from the solenoid before charging.
    I trimmed the OEM Polaris battery cover just enough to accommodate the battery cable connections to the Deka battery. I use the side attachment or top attachment, whichever works best for that particular battery hold down clamp.

    Sometimes I also use the plastic Deka spacer on top of the battery or underneath, again whichever seems to make the most sense in terms of fit.

    The Polaris displays will continue to 'work' until the battery voltage sags extremely low. So just seeing the display alive does not tell you much.

    The best way to check a battery state of charge is to measure the voltage with an accurate multi-meter. Sometimes the voltage shown on the display itself is not accurate.

    First as the battery just sits, then again while cranking the engine. The first measurement shows the resting voltage. Use that voltage to get an idea of the amount of charge in a battery. For an AGM battery at room temperature 12.8 volts is 100% charge. See this post for more info.

    As this Deka chart shows, 11.80 volts indicates a fully discharged AGM battery. This would still run the display but of course would be completely unable to properly crank or start the engine.


  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    311
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MPDano View Post
    ... I was hoping not to have to remove the plastic cover that holds the battery down as it covers all writing as well as posts.

    The Deka I bought was about a year old but I never unhooked it while it sat. The dash panel was still showing data, so it didn't discharge. I put it on my slow charger all night and will see where it sits this am. I also made sure to disconnect the pos cable from the solenoid before charging.
    I trimmed the OEM Polaris battery cover just enough to accommodate the battery cable connections to the Deka battery. I use the side attachment or top attachment, whichever works best for that particular battery hold down clamp.

    Sometimes I also use the plastic Deka spacer on top of the battery or underneath, again whichever seems to make the most sense in terms of fit.

    The Polaris displays will continue to 'work' until the battery voltage sags extremely low. So just seeing the display alive does not tell you much.

    The best way to check a battery state of charge is to measure the voltage with an accurate multi-meter. Sometimes the voltage shown on the display itself is not accurate.

    First as the battery just sits, then again while cranking the engine. The first measurement shows the resting voltage. Use that voltage to get an idea of the amount of charge in a battery. For an AGM battery at room temperature 12.8 volts is 100% charge. See this post for more info.

    As this Deka chart shows, 11.80 volts indicates a fully discharged AGM battery. This would still run the display but of course would be completely unable to properly crank or start the engine.

    Thanks for the Mod tips. Since the battery at rest was showing 12.6, then it probably is still good. Reading was taken with my Multimeter.

  7. #7
    Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    near Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    36,587
    +1
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by MPDano View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MPDano View Post
    ... I was hoping not to have to remove the plastic cover that holds the battery down as it covers all writing as well as posts.

    The Deka I bought was about a year old but I never unhooked it while it sat. The dash panel was still showing data, so it didn't discharge. I put it on my slow charger all night and will see where it sits this am. I also made sure to disconnect the pos cable from the solenoid before charging.
    I trimmed the OEM Polaris battery cover just enough to accommodate the battery cable connections to the Deka battery. I use the side attachment or top attachment, whichever works best for that particular battery hold down clamp.

    Sometimes I also use the plastic Deka spacer on top of the battery or underneath, again whichever seems to make the most sense in terms of fit.

    The Polaris displays will continue to 'work' until the battery voltage sags extremely low. So just seeing the display alive does not tell you much.

    The best way to check a battery state of charge is to measure the voltage with an accurate multi-meter. Sometimes the voltage shown on the display itself is not accurate.

    First as the battery just sits, then again while cranking the engine. The first measurement shows the resting voltage. Use that voltage to get an idea of the amount of charge in a battery. For an AGM battery at room temperature 12.8 volts is 100% charge. See this post for more info.

    As this Deka chart shows, 11.80 volts indicates a fully discharged AGM battery. This would still run the display but of course would be completely unable to properly crank or start the engine.

    Thanks for the Mod tips.

    Since the battery at rest was showing 12.6, then it probably is still good.

    Reading was taken with my Multimeter.
    Battery resting voltage is only half the story.

    Measure battery voltage while engine is cranking. If it gets near or sags below 10.6 volts then the battery is not strong, regardless of the resting voltage.

    A strong AGM battery should be able to crank the engine and maintain voltages very near or even above 11.0 volts, the higher the better.

    It should be able to do this for many seconds of cranking, more than the time it takes to start a cold engine on a bad day.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    311
    +1
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MPDano View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MPDano View Post
    ... I was hoping not to have to remove the plastic cover that holds the battery down as it covers all writing as well as posts.

    The Deka I bought was about a year old but I never unhooked it while it sat. The dash panel was still showing data, so it didn't discharge. I put it on my slow charger all night and will see where it sits this am. I also made sure to disconnect the pos cable from the solenoid before charging.
    I trimmed the OEM Polaris battery cover just enough to accommodate the battery cable connections to the Deka battery. I use the side attachment or top attachment, whichever works best for that particular battery hold down clamp.

    Sometimes I also use the plastic Deka spacer on top of the battery or underneath, again whichever seems to make the most sense in terms of fit.

    The Polaris displays will continue to 'work' until the battery voltage sags extremely low. So just seeing the display alive does not tell you much.

    The best way to check a battery state of charge is to measure the voltage with an accurate multi-meter. Sometimes the voltage shown on the display itself is not accurate.

    First as the battery just sits, then again while cranking the engine. The first measurement shows the resting voltage. Use that voltage to get an idea of the amount of charge in a battery. For an AGM battery at room temperature 12.8 volts is 100% charge. See this post for more info.

    As this Deka chart shows, 11.80 volts indicates a fully discharged AGM battery. This would still run the display but of course would be completely unable to properly crank or start the engine.

    Thanks for the Mod tips.

    Since the battery at rest was showing 12.6, then it probably is still good.

    Reading was taken with my Multimeter.
    Battery resting voltage is only half the story.

    Measure battery voltage while engine is cranking. If it gets near or sags below 10.6 volts then the battery is not strong, regardless of the resting voltage.

    A strong AGM battery should be able to crank the engine and maintain voltages very near or even above 11.0 volts, the higher the better.

    It should be able to do this for many seconds of cranking, more than the time it takes to start a cold engine on a bad day.
    Understood. Will test battery voltage under cranking load.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    311
    +1
    2
    Purchased Deka battery in Oct 2012. 2-1/2 year old battery. Rest voltage is now 10.7 This battery is getting retired.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    San Diego, California, United States
    Posts
    311
    +1
    2
    Another Deka battery ordered. Should get it by next Monday. Hopefully she just fires up. Even my old skool Kawa Jetski next to it on the trailer fired right up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. WTB - Parts Polaris 1200 FFI cylinder head for my 2001 Virage TXi
    By macdoo in forum Polaris Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-25-2012, 03:54 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-19-2012, 11:15 PM
  3. WTB Badly need 2 parts for 2002 Virage TXI 1200 ASAP
    By tenjuna in forum Polaris Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 11:48 AM
  4. 2002 virage txi 1200 will not start/no power (electrical)
    By YZDOUGLAS in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-25-2009, 09:09 PM
  5. 2002 virage txi 1200 dfi won't idle
    By bigh62 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-29-2008, 08:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •