Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

no Spark from coil

Polaris 1999 SLH got from neighbor, not running, proceeded going through the ski,their was some sand in electrical box , cleaned it up. no spark read technical advice on GREENHULK , after unplugging 2 stator wires and rerouting the LC wire and plugging both plug boots in.she fired right up
    putter in the water started right up. got a quarter away around the lake.
    HELP me Im sinking ski died , got towed back-in . now I know why their was sand in the electrical box. the pass through hull seal was toast.fix the seal drain the water, Now it seems like the same problem, great juice
    coming into coil , none coming out. has updated stator and CDI but not the coil. replace coil same thing battery is great voltage is way above 10.6 any advice from you fans would be much
    appreciated.
    Last edited by SuperFly; 03-15-2015 at 03:10 PM. Reason: added infromation

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

The electrical box is supposed to have a seal gasket all around the rim that makes it waterproof. If the seal is missing or damaged then it should be replaced. Should be no way for water or sand to get inside the electrical box.

Remove and inspect the terminal board in the electrical box. There may be corrosion on the back or under the rivets.

Was the replacement coil also a Gen III ignition coil?

+1
    I have a brand new oem updated twin ignition coil here if you need one.

no spark from coil

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

The electrical box is supposed to have a seal gasket all around the rim that makes it waterproof. If the seal is missing or damaged then it should be replaced. Should be no way for water or sand to get inside the electrical box.

Remove and inspect the terminal board in the electrical box. There may be corrosion on the back or under the rivets.

Thanks for responding
    the water didn't get high enough to reach the box, seal is good terminal connections are good and grease, updated coil is correct. everything checks out , Im leaning toward LR-30 Regulator rectifier, or a grounding issue, good voltage going in the coil, none coming out. its a real head scratcher

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperFly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Welcome

Thanks for responding
    the water didn't get high enough to reach the box, seal is good terminal connections are good and grease, updated coil is correct. everything checks out , I'm leaning toward LR-30 Regulator rectifier, or a grounding issue, good voltage going in the coil, none coming out. its a real head scratcher
    How are you measuring voltage 'into' the ignition coil?
    Last edited by K447; 03-22-2015 at 03:40 PM.

measuring voltage with a multimeter set on DCV @20 meter shows 12.6-15.0 going into coil

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperFly View Post
    measuring voltage with a multimeter set on DCV @20 meter shows 12.6-15.0 going into coil
    Why do you think that is the correct voltage?

The CDI ignition pulse into the ignition coil primary is measured in hundreds of volts.

Quote Originally Posted by casey67 View Post
    ... check voltage on the 2 blk/wht wires going to the coil.

One of those wires should have 240-300 volts DC while cranking.
    (the other will be below 1v which is normal)

+1
    I had a Virage 700 once grounding out spark somehow through a shorted bilge pump. Unhooked connectors at the bilge pump and got spark.

The bad pump would actually still run too!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    sand only gets into an electric box when there was a submersion and a box where the seal wasn't close to being in place. after you get this all sorted out take whatever steps required to seal up that electric box properly ( and that means using a factory gasket and not some rtv)

I'd take another hard look at the terminal board with a continuity tester. I've seen boards where the rivets and all look good..but connections had high resistance.

15v at the coil might work on a conventional ignition system, but as noted, far too low of a pulse for a cdi.

You need a pretty good digital voltmeter to catch a reading from a cdi pulse.

I'd run a hair dryer in the electric box, you may have had some water penetration into the cdi box.. Dry it out real good and it might start sparking again.

Thanks K447 and Captain Pete for your great suggestions and expert advise, you guys truly have a craft , my cdi unit is bad , tried drying it with no positive results , looking for a cdi 4010449 , found a few of them ,way to expensive , seen Captain Petes blog about a asian after market one , let me know if anybody out their has a good one for sale. again thanks for your time

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information