Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

1200 tx drive shaft stuck! Please help!

Hello- first times posting. I've tried searching but can't seem to find my answer.
    i have a 2000 virage tx
    I'm replacing the through hull bearing. I have removed the pump housing completely. When I pulled the housing, the drive shaft came out of the impeller and remained in the hull. I have tried pulling and it only moves about half an inch before hitting solid (clunk) resistance.
    what step am I missing? How do I get this thing out?
    Getting ahead of myself- once I finish replacing everything and go to re install the drive- do I need to align even though I am not doing anything with the engine mounts?
    thanks for everyone's help!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If the engine has not been lifted out and the jet pump base has not been unglued from the hull then the engine to jet pump alignment should not change.

Sometimes the drive shaft can simply be really stuck in the engine coupler. Either you find a way to seriously apply direct rearward force on the drive shaft without damaging the driveshaft, or you undo the coupler and then lift the engine up, then slide the driveshaft together with the stuck coupler forward and extract it from the hull that way.

The driveshaft coupler can be unscrewed from the engine. Use the posted 'rope trick' to lock the PTO piston in place while you loosen the drive coupler from the engine crank shaft.

Yes, it seems like a lot of trouble to undo and loosen everything just so you can lift the engine up for a few minutes. It is actually not that bad a job. The first time it takes longer and you need to make notes and take digital photos as you go. Guys who have done it a few times can have an engine completely out of the hull quite quickly.

Gives you a chance to clean the bottom of the hull under the engine and discover how many tools were lost down there
    Last edited by K447; 03-15-2015 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks for the help! I'm a little nervous about removing the engine and really want to avoid that. Any suggestions on how to get better leverage and force on the shaft? Is there a chance of damaging the coupler at this rate?
    thanks again!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpool View Post
    Thanks for the help! I'm a little nervous about removing the engine and really want to avoid that. Any suggestions on how to get better leverage and force on the shaft? Is there a chance of damaging the coupler at this rate?
    thanks again!
    I suspect part of the challenge is the limited range of available tools and possible extraction options.

Perhaps a local mechanical shop would be able to assist?

The hard part is getting a strong enough grip on the slippery drive shaft. A metal collar or similar might be able to lock into the machined recess near the splines. Perhaps utilize a gear puller of just the right design?

I hesitate to suggest brute force methods such as using chains or straps from the drive shaft to a big tree, then tow the trailer forward until something gives. That something could be the trailer winch or winch stand, the winch strap, or any number of other things. Real risk of bad results.

The safer option is to remove the engine, despite the seemingly extra work involved. Or take it to someone who solves this sort of problem often.

Replacement engine coupler is not expensive, nor the drive shaft if it comes to it.

Ok, thanks again!
    I think I'll start researching the steps on pulling the engine.
    The drive shaft is already being replaced so I'm not worried about damaging that.

+1
    You'll never get the engine out with the driveshaft attached. Maybe if you unscrew the coupler. You won't be able to shift the engine far enough to get it through the thru-hull fitting. You'll hit the gas tank.

Put on a pair of gloves, grab that driveshaft and give it hell. It will come out.

Incidentally- just to double check, I dont have to do anything inside the bay to release the shaft. Simply remove jet pump, and pull it out?
    Thought I would check before I reaply brute force.

+1
    Incidentally- just to double check, I dont have to do anything inside the bay to release the shaft. Simply remove jet pump, and pull it out?
    Thought I would check before I reaply brute force.
    Yep.

Normally the drive shaft splines are greased and the drive shaft end slides into and out of the engine coupler with minimal effort.

There is actually a tiny bit of looseness/play between the coupler splines and the drive shaft splines, which in part creates the infamous Polaris jet pump rattle when the engine is run out of the water.

There is no locking hardware of any kind to hold the driveshaft into the coupler. Thee us a little rubber button pressed onto the end of the drive shaft. This often falls off and stays behind in the cavity when the drive shaft is removed. Be sure to retrieve the rubber bumper if you do not see it on the end of the drive shaft after removal.

Of course, we are all assuming you have a completely stock factory Polaris Virage driveshaft configuration in there.

Hmm.... The ski was a gift from family. It came with a lake house they bought.
    No information on it all as far as work performed or mods.
    if it happened to be an aftermarket shaft, is there a way to tell?
    if yes, any idea on removing any of those types?
    if a pic would help I can post one this evening, just let me know what area to shoot.

thanks again!

+1
    Hmm.... The ski was a gift from family. It came with a lake house they bought.
    No information on it all as far as work performed or mods.
    if it happened to be an aftermarket shaft, is there a way to tell?
    if yes, any idea on removing any of those types?
    if a pic would help I can post one this evening, just let me know what area to shoot.

thanks again!
    I was not thinking so much of aftermarket parts. Just that it is possible that someone has messed with the OEM configuration, perhaps trying to 'fix' something using a welder or whatever.

There are lots of photos posted around here of what a stock normal drive shaft and coupler look like. Same coupler part is used on all models of Virage and Genesis plus some older models.

Have a look here, for a start.
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....water/jet-pump

Here are some photos
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/album.php?albumid=1436

This is a normal rubber bonded drive shaft coupler as used on Polaris Virage and Genesis models.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information