Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Switched from LB to E1, Have Some Issues

I just switched from an LB to an E1 and took it out for a test yesterday. I set the FP at 52 RR, and AFRs were good (at least as far as I got, never made it to WOT), but at around 8K, sometimes lower, it kept suddenly dropping 500-1000 RPMs, then surging back up. It would do this surging until I backed off the throttle to below 7500. I was rolling easy on the throttle, not banging on it. I never even got to WOT because of the surging.

I thought I could hear a fluttering coming either the BOV or possibly a leak. I checked the hoses and didn't find any that were loose, so I'm thinking it's either the BOV, clutch is going (100 hrs on it), or ???
    Any ideas?

Water temp was about 75, air was about 85.

+1
    When i killed a clutch it just lost power and made no boost but still was smooth to wot was just doing 70mph

+1
    Top speed I reached was 78.4, which is less than I had with the LB, but I had strong headwinds, current, and didn't make it to WOT, so I think it has a lot left in it if I didn't have this issue.

I'm going to double check the hoses tonight.

I know pretty much nothing about BOV's, I have a Greddy; is there any way to check it to see if it's operating properly, in case the flutter I heard was from it?

+1
    it is possibly air loss your bigger wheel is using up all your hull air you may need to look at hull ventilation. try taking off the rear seat and bucket and see if it does it.

The E1 normally has a surge that flutters the BOV rapidly and shakes the whole ski but it would not be in that high of an rpm range.What were your rpms before and after the wheel change ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by razzie View Post
    it is possibly air loss your bigger wheel is using up all your hull air you may need to look at hull ventilation. try taking off the rear seat and bucket and see if it does it.
    I've already added hull ventilation with two 3" frogzskin vents, foam removed, and the flex-tubes dumping by the intake.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FXSlowKroozer View Post
    The E1 normally has a surge that flutters the BOV rapidly and shakes the whole ski but it would not be in that high of an rpm range.What were your rpms before and after the wheel change ?
    I was at 8300-8400 (depending on temp, cone spacers, etc) before, and don't know how high it can get now because this started at around 7800-8k. I also swapped to an 86mm nozzle and put all 3 spacers on my cone to keep the RPMs down around the same as they were with the LB (had 87mm with only the thin spacer with the ET wheel.).
    I didn't get any of the flutter in the4k range that people say they get, but I was doing a slow, steady accelleration first to make sure AFRs were good. Never got around to seeing how strong it would pull.

If I remember right when I tried those wheels increase was in the 200rpm range and the low end surge was very intense on that particular wheel.Pressure test the ski and if possible try a different flash.Something def aint right

+1
    I'm going to check the simple stuff like double checking hoses and plugs first, then go on the pressure test, etc.
    Any chance it could be too much or too little vacuum to the BOV and making it bleed off?

Not vacuum once you are in boost the only thing keeping the BOV shut is the positive pressure from the reference line behind the BOV.If the BOV is defective or the line is inadequate it can definitely come open on you.A pressure test will show that too just start there

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information