Wave Raider engine problems

Hi guys I just rebuilt the top half of my engine and got the 10 hour break in period completed. When I took it out today it started right up but needed an adjustment on the hi speed fuel mixture screw because the engine wouldn't go over 4k rpm. I did this and the motor ran for about 20 minutes reaching 6.5 k rpms. The speed of the jet ski was good but felt sluggish and didn't have the same power comming out of hard turns. So I adjusted the screws with an 1/8. turn on screw, after that I was unable to get my motor to start and run again. Just was looking for some ideas why the engine would start and run but after a little adjustment on the mixture screw it wouldn't start at all??? I even tried resetting the mixture screws to factory settings but that didn't work either. Thanks

+1
    You could have a fuel issue. Or you could have a deeper root problem that was not solved with the top end overhaul. Do a compression check first.

So after checking my compression values I knew something was very wrong. I finally opened up my cylinders and found out that on both pistons, the upper edge of the piston had chipped/broken off down to the rings on the manifold side of the cylinders. Could putting the wrong rings in the wrong grooves cause this piston damage? This is the first time trying to rebuild the top end of any motor, any help would be appreciated.

+1
    Sounds like maybe your pistons were in backwards and the rings snagged on the exhaust port. The locating pins for the rings should be on the intake side. Or possibly it was so lean it detonated badly until it chunked out. Let's see pics.

Thread Information