Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good Compression, Scored Piston 65u 1200

So long story short, I just picked up a used 1200 engine that has apparently 50 hours on it since it was gone through. It is in SBT engine. Anyways, I have got even compression across the board, 110, but I when I inspected the pistons through the exhaust ports, I noticed piston #3 was scored. From what I can see through the exhaust port, the cylinder looks and feels good, AND it has good compression. To top it all of, as a preventive maintence, I just replaced the cranks seals and found NO debris what so ever in the crankcase halves, and the cylinder walls looked great from that view.

I am debating on whether or not I should tear down the top end and replace that piston? Have you guys ever experienced scored piston with perfect compression?

Quote Originally Posted by FlMike View Post
    You should check with SBT before tearing down to see if its still in warranty. If it is you'll get a new engine for free. If you tear it down first you'll void the warranty.
    Yeah I am going to give them a call today and see what they say. I am not sure exactly how old the motor is. Is the warranty transferable?? I will be curious to hear what they say.

It's just one of those things I guess. I am having a real hard time dropping this motor in and using it and being confident in its performance! My biggest fear is a chunk of the piston skirt breaking off and losing a bottom end. Kind of a bummer! I bought the the motor with the intention of it being a drop in but it has turned out to be a little more than that! At least I'll know what Im working with!!

No warranty Just got off the phone with Lynn at SBT. Ran up awhile ago! It was worth a shot!

North Central Arkansas
    How bad does the scoring look? Any pics? A scored piston will not affect compression numbers. The piston does not make the seal, the rings do.

I believe it is perfectly acceptable to have a scored piston reused. in the shop manual you will see the method for cleaning up a piston if you are rebuilding the motor. I would assume that someone rebuilt the top end and maybe bored or honed the cylinders but reused the piston or bought a used piston and cleaned it up a little. I wouldn't touch a thing if the cylinder walls look good.

Thank you guys for the advice!! I will snap a photo and post it so you can see what I'm talking about. I know the 65u is a GOOD strong motor and I want to make sure it lasts. Compression is even and the cylinder walls look good. I am thinking along the same lines as you guys.Previous owner rebuilt the motor, freshened it up with rings and used the scored piston. I am going to leave it as is and go ahead and install!! Oil injection block off kit and GENUINE OEM Mikuni carb kits are on the way!

Here's a few pics...compression is good and cylinder feels smooth. I'll let you guys look and see what you think..

Houston, TX
    If it has good compression, rebuild the carbs, check the reeds, and run it till it drops!
    Last edited by boudin; 03-18-2015 at 05:48 PM.

9. +1 by:

North Central Arkansas
    Ya, just run it. I've run worse than that before with no issues.

11. +1 by:

Thanks guys!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information