Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How hard is it to swap an Ebox?

Background: bought two 96 wave raiders 760. Both under 120 hours, both had not ran in a couple years. First one pulled old battery put in new wasn't paying attention poles were swapped accidently tried to hook up back ward battery sparked oops! Got battery in right a little starter fluid and it cranked up on the water. Started to go it was real hard to get it to go past idle or else it would die out. Decided it definetly needed carb rebuilt went to shut it off kill switch and stop would not work flooded it to kill it. Cleaned carbs replaced gaskets fired it up on dry land and it ran away (dieseling) pulled gas line to stop it. Turns out had a bad front seal had it replaced meanwhile checked kill switch using the other ski it worked not the kill switch. started it up (digital screen disconnected I still had motor pulled) kill switch still didn't work I was told I had to have that screen plugged in after I flooded it. Went to try to start it up with screen plugged in and I haven't been able to get it started and now it's started slipping or misfiring and won't start I have a video I showed a couple people I know, they said it's not a starter. I pulled the #1 plug and it cranks fine no misfire. I'm now led to believe it's one of three things 1. Cdi 2. Coils. 3. Timing is twisted.

Thinking about out putting the Ebox off my other one that works to see if that's the problem if it is I get a new one if not cdi or coils its timing. I don't know how hard it is for a regular joe to swap. Also if after reading my story anyone can give more insight that would be awesome.

I also disconnected screen won't start either way and is misfiring both ways

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    it's difficult to deal with an electric box reinstall..lots of wires..lots of 20 year old connectors, lots of chances to make a bigger mess.

the ski will run with or without the console connected.

do this by the book, or spin around senselessly.

check compression, confirm spark timing, make sure the carb is put together correctly and these skis should run fine.

stay off the starter fluid..use an eyedropper with fuel to prime up the engine

+1
    It is a very easy swap if your new ebox is all ready to install and sealed up. In other words....rectifier, coil, cdi, starter relay already installed in e-box.

• Remove existing connections from ebox to your battery, starter, stator, spark plugs and (2) electical plugs at front above fuel tank that go to S/S/K switch.
    • Remove the (2) 12mm mounting bolts
    • Remove the old e-box.
    • Reverse for installation.

I just did this on our 650 and it took me all of 20 minutes including cleaning up with zip ties and loom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	353659   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	353660  

thanks for the help guys. What is the connection for that goes to the cylinder ( I believe) it seems like a temperature sensor but I could be way off.

ccw you did have to remove connections from inside the ebox? mine are hard wired from motor up to inside the ebox. Im uploading a video to youtube ill past link its of me trying to start the motor. I have it in a boat just incase your wondering.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by amk View Post
    thanks for the help guys. What is the connection for that goes to the cylinder ( I believe) it seems like a temperature sensor but I could be way off.
    The connection that goes to the lower portion of the engine is for the stator.

what I'm reffering to is on the cylinder head.

+1
    Thermo switch assembly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information