Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1

Do I need fire extinguishers?

Quick question guys - looking at taking our skis with us to SC for some ocean running during a scheduled vacation down there this spring.

Here in Canada we do not need fire extinguishers with skis so long as all riders are wearing life jackets..it's only if you have the jackets stowed (not wearing them) do you require an extinguisher.

That said from what I can gather it looks like no such exception exists in the USA nor SC in particular...so will I need to have extinguishers on board both of our machines? The holders are still there but the extinguishers themselves have been gone for a long, LONG time.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    How much would two extinguishers cost, compared to all the other expenses involved in PWC riding?

I always have them onboard even if technically not required.

Having more than the minimum gear helps show that you are trying to do the safety thing 'properly'. Might make an on-water interview go a little easier...

+1
    Me and my wife have had plenty of "on water interviews" and never once have we been asked to see if the extinguisher containers in the trunks actually have extinguishers in them. We always ride with our jackets on however...without exception.

The expense isn't the concern, it's finding ones that will fit in the existing caddies securely that's more or a concern...otherwise, like anything else left loose in the trunks they'll be smashed to bits in no time flat.

And ultimately if if we don't need them I wont rush to buy them - if my ski ever catches fire...it's well insured, see ya later. I'd expect my wife to do the same.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Fire extinguisher's arent for putting out your own ski, its if another boat or ski is on fire ....If my ski was on fire Im getting the hell off of it...

5. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I was referring to an interview on US waters, not Canadian.

I consider my fire extinguishers something that, if they are ever to be used, would more likely be for someone else's boat than my own. One of the principles of marine law and courtesy is rendering assistance to other mariners. My fire extinguisher is part of that perspective.

I carry other gear that is also as likely to be used to help others as to help myself.

The correct size fire extinguishers can be found. A well stocked marine service store or just contact the manufacturer.

I prefer the aluminum model, harder to find and costs more but no concerns with moisture and corrosion.

+1
    Fair enough on the argument behind the purpose of having one guys, but FWIW...I still haven't got the answer to my question.

+1
    I know here in Minnesota, one is required along with jackets at all times. We also have strict times to ride. 1 hour after sun rise and 1 hour before set.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    an extinguisher is simply common sense. I carry one in all of my trucks. For $10-20 why take a chance?

I have a Co2 I keep in home. Powder makes a huge mess, something you don't want to have happen when the deep fryer lights up.

However you do not want to try to put hands on when YOUR ski is the one burning. swim fast and far.

10. +1 by:

From South Carolina DNR:

Fire Extinguisher
    One Coast Guard approved hand-held portable fire extinguisher must be aboard each boat less than 26 ft. if the boat is carrying passengers for hire or if the construction permits the entrapment of flammable vapors or if it has a permanently installed gas tank, including gas tanks that use any type of fastener that would hamper the immediate removal of the tank from the boat. Additional extinguishers are required in boats larger than 26 ft. Contact the SCDNR for complete regulations

+1
    Fire extinguisher, PFD, and whistle is required here in Wisconsin. I've been stopped on my couch once on the Great Lakes - Lake Michigan by the US Coast Guard and had everything as requested and required. Of course it is 5 minute adventure digging the fire extinguisher out of the bottom of front hatch when the hatch it full of "stuff" (dry bag, clothes, spare PFD, etc). If mine is burning, I'm jumping in the water and watching it burn from a distance. No chance I'm digging out that little white fire snuffer. (The extinguisher is required though)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information