Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PWC newbie considering (2) 2007 FX-12x GPScape

Hi, I am looking for experienced advice so this looks like the place! I am completely new to PWC's, am not the youngest guy in the world being in my 50's but have been looking for a couple decent reliable PWC's without completely breaking the bank (as I prefer to stay married!). I have done much research on different brands and ran across what I think is a decent buy on 2 FX-12c GPScape's.

They are asking $8k for both including trailerable covers and a trailer. They do have more hours on them than I would like (150 & 250). They have been well kept with all records of maintenance done at 2 different marinas, the mechanics name was supplied to me as well who maintained them since new. The main issues I see with these model Honda;s are are the corrosion issues and ecm. The owner said he has sprayed the turbo, etc. after every use (and it shows as I can not find much if any rust) and they have been diligently maintained and stored inside every winter.

I have a few questions:

1) Do you think this is a good buy? The original price was $9k but he came down to $8k.
    2) I have a 19 year old daughter with Cerebral Palsy that I want to take out on these. I have read they are smaller than some but still fairly stable, is this true as I need to make sure she doesn't go unintentionally swimming too often.
    3) The current owner said that he has not had the gas tank recall done since he has not had any issues. If I went with them, would you recommend I have that done?
    4) Is there anyway to check if the ecm is healthy or not or is that kind of a crap shoot? I read on another thread that if I test drive it for 20-30 minutes and do not have any issues it is usually a sign of a healthy ecm (if that is the right term).

Thanks for the advice!

Charlie

+1
    It would be the F-12x, not FX-12X and from what I have been around, seen (and heard), they are certainly decent skis if maintained well. The price looks good for a matching pair with a double trailer. The problem is that Honda no longer supports the ski so you will be at the mercy of the internet for any diagnosis, repair suggestions, etc. One thing you need to expect is that they are a very wet ride due to the shape of the front of the hull. This is a deal breaker for a lot of people.

Good luck in your decision but based on your "FX" notation, you have been looking at Yamaha also. Hands down, the Yamaha is a much better choice if that is an option.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smljunkie View Post
    Hi, I am looking for experienced advice so this looks like the place! I am completely new to PWC's, am not the youngest guy in the world being in my 50's but have been looking for a couple decent reliable PWC's without completely breaking the bank (as I prefer to stay married!). I have done much research on different brands and ran across what I think is a decent buy on 2 FX-12c GPScape's.

They are asking $8k for both including trailerable covers and a trailer. They do have more hours on them than I would like (150 & 250). They have been well kept with all records of maintenance done at 2 different marinas, the mechanics name was supplied to me as well who maintained them since new. The main issues I see with these model Honda;s are are the corrosion issues and ecm. The owner said he has sprayed the turbo, etc. after every use (and it shows as I can not find much if any rust) and they have been diligently maintained and stored inside every winter.

I have a few questions:

1) Do you think this is a good buy? The original price was $9k but he came down to $8k.
    2) I have a 19 year old daughter with Cerebral Palsy that I want to take out on these. I have read they are smaller than some but still fairly stable, is this true as I need to make sure she doesn't go unintentionally swimming too often.
    3) The current owner said that he has not had the gas tank recall done since he has not had any issues. If I went with them, would you recommend I have that done?
    4) Is there anyway to check if the ecm is healthy or not or is that kind of a crap shoot? I read on another thread that if I test drive it for 20-30 minutes and do not have any issues it is usually a sign of a healthy ecm (if that is the right term).

Thanks for the advice!

Charlie

Your gonna have an ECM failure. They all usually fail its just a matter of time. They are a wet ride, youll need to add a splash guard. There is just too much to go wrong. Turbos, sensors, reverse and steering nuts, ecm..they all cost alot too. Parts are expensive. For a first ski I would get something else. 8K is alot for two. They are worth more in parts. Whats your budget?

All, thanks so much for taking the time to reply, much appreciated! A couple of things that were asked:

- My budget is at 8k or even a little less. I don't want to break the bank as I am not sure how often I will be able to use them.
    - I have been looking at Yamahas too but have not found anything in my budget that was 4 stroke and I really don't think I want to mess with 2-strokes. I did find some nice 2008's but after dealer added all those hidden costs (pet peeve of mine), it pushed way beyond what I was comfortable spending.
    - I saw some 2004 Polaris within budget, actually a lot less, but reviews were horrible and they went out of the business in 2004.
    - I found a couple of older 4-stroke sea-do's within budget that might be a consideration.

I guess in the end I am being swayed by the reliability of Honda autos but that may be the wrong way to think. I am also thinking the older the model the better as I may want to sell in a couple of years and resell value and the Honda name may help.

Thanks!

Charlie

+1
    Too bad. I just sold a matching pair of 2008 Yamaha VX110 Cruisers here on the forum about a month ago for $8000

The only time the turbos have problems is if they were in saltwater and not sprayed down. Otherwise Honda's are about as reliable as it gets. Parts can still be easily had and honda dealers still exist to service them all over the place. Get the recall done (it is free, there is not reason not to). It is a decent buy, but not a steal. You can probably find some with less hours for less money, but you'll have to wait. I've owned an R12x, 3 F12x's, and a F15x & have never had an ECM fail or any major problem. The R12x had 1 sensor go bad that looked like it was the ECM, but it was just a $20 part instead. Combined between the 5 there have been over 700 trouble free hours. I still have 2 of the F12x's and the F15x. The comments about the splash guard are correct if you don't like a wet ride. The F12x is smaller & more maneuverable than some of the almost boat sized skis that are out today, but are still very stable (you can stand on one side & it won't tip over). As long as you are not in rough water the F12x will be a better choice and much more fun than those big cruiser kind of skis.

+1
    If you buy a Honda turbo that is in great condition and keep it that way. It will be reliable.they are alot of fun. More fun than the yamaha 4 stroke skis

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by IronMan89 View Post
    If you buy a Honda turbo that is in great condition and keep it that way. It will be reliable.they are alot of fun. More fun than the yamaha 4 stroke skis
    out of curiosity what Yamaha 4 stoke skis have you ridden?

+1
    Yamaha FX 160. Great ski but not as fun as the Hondas. Just what I think

+1
    Vx110 too

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information