DESS Encoded Key Worn

It becoming very frustrating trying to start the engine. I think my DESS Encoded Key cap is worn. I get the beeps but it just click until I hit the sweet spot. I called the dealership inquiring whether or not this is a known issue and sure enough it is. The only good thing about our conversation was, he did not recommned getting a new key and if I insisted, I would have the same issue. Oh yeah, I tried cleaning the contacts with an eraser.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DESS Encoded Key Cap.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	353680

+1
    that's a typical starter solenoid failure. Next time jump the starter terminals, if it starts consistently that way then bad solenoid. Usually when a dess key fails you'll get four beeps or no beeps.

3. +1 by:

Thanks for the info. So, if this is the case, I guess I can safely assume the solenoid is intermitting and eventually it will fail permanently. I will definitely trouble this issue. I would be up the creek without a paddle if the solenoid (relay switch) stop working in time of need.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Shacho762 View Post
    I would be up the creek without a paddle if the solenoid (relay switch) stop working in time of need.
    Naaa...Just carry a screw driver to short across studs. It has gotten me home in another ski. Git-R-Done.

But yes, you need to properly troubleshoot this issue. Don't forget cables & ground points.

But yes, you need to properly troubleshoot this issue. Don't forget cables & ground points.
    Thanks, I appreciate your's and toxicgun response! Recap - oil and plugs changed, wear ring changed, bilge pump installed...starter solenoid??? I think I'm ready to hit the water. This forum and others has and saved me a lot of $$$$

I jumped the solenoid and the ski fired up. Ordered another solenoid, hopefully it will show up this weekend. Once again, thanks!!

I jumped the solenoid terminals and the ski fired up. Ordered another solenoid, hopefully it will show up this weekend. Once again, thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shacho762 View Post
    I jumped the solenoid terminals and the ski fired up. Ordered another solenoid, hopefully it will show up this weekend. Once again, thanks!!
    Solenoid showed up this weekend - I installed it and the ski started without hesitation!!

Thread Information