Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Unhappy 2007 Wake 215 Help.... Please!

Hello, I am a long time lurker but this morning I made a account in hopes of posting about the new ski I purchased yesterday in a more joyful tone.

SO... here is the situation.

It will not exceed 6,200 rpm (7,000 in neutral while in the water, I have not revved it on the hose yet) and it will only go 48mph. The seller claimed it had bad gas, and although this is the first supercharged ski I've laid hands on you guys have given me the knowledge I needed over the years and naturally I pulled the intake hose off the supercharger at the ramp, and it passed the finger test. We settled at $5,500 which is $500 below the blue book. I know I should have told the guy I'd buy it once he had it running better... but here is why I pulled the trigger. It has documented maintenance for every winterization including oil fog and oil change (done at the end of every season) at the dealer since the owner passed away (hence the reason it was being sold). The whole ski is in immaculate condition, quite literally not a single scratch on the whole thing and it has been garage kept so their is no sun damage either. It is so clean and perfect. It still has the original wear ring that does not have any grooves worn and the clearance is perfect. The dealer did the 100 hour maintainece (Plugs, oil, impeller grease, oil seal, oil filter o-ring) and it has only had 17 hours since then. The invoice and report says (in 2012) "Supercharger is in good condition, rebuild not necessary. Runs ok on trailer, technician advises fresh gas." I'm assuming this means it still has the awful stock ceramic washers.

I know you are thinking its a blown supercharger, but it passes the finger test and does not make any odd noises, and it gets more complicated

The pump is perfect. The super charger passes the finger test and I can feel it push when I squeeze (lightly) the hose between the supercharger and engine. We topped the tank of with 5 gallons of gas. The seller claims it has only had high octane gas its entire life, which i am inclined to believe due to the well documented maintenance and obvious care this ski has had.

Today I pulled the plugs to clean them. I figured there would be corrosion on them for sitting for 2 years. There was a small amount. I checked the oil and the level was absurdly high! I put the hose on and idled it for 2min per the forum instructions and the level is still ~1/8th inch above the upper bend on the dip stick. I have an oil extraction pump now but it is too late to crank it without bothering the neighbors. I read through every post I could find relating to too much oil and it seems no one is down 2,000rpm and 20mph like I am from the oil alone, but I would be relieved to know that is the problem. I contacted the seller and he did not add any oil, so the extra oil must be from when it was changed at the 100 hour service.

I already plan to send the supercharger to be rebuilt by Jerry because those ceramic washers scare me to death. Could such a dramatic loss of power be from the supercharger needing to be rebuilt?? Could the high oil be causing this?? The seller had put 7 gallons in it that morning so surely it can't be bad gas (I added injector cleaner before I ran it on the water today for 30min. No improvement).

I am so sorry my first post is a help me post, please understand that I did not want to make my first post like this but I am scared and I don't know how else to diagnose it. Thank you in advance for any help! It is whole heartedly appreciated!!

+1
    bad gas-- suck it out and then change your spark plugs. Report back on the change in performance. The 1/8" high oil will do nothing to hurt performance.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    bad gas-- suck it out and then change your spark plugs. Report back on the change in performance. The 1/8" high oil will do nothing to hurt performance.

I will siphon the fuel today, I just need to figure out where to put 15 gallons of gas...

Can that small amount of bad gas do this? The seller claims 7 gallons of fresh gas were put in 3 days ago and the 3 gallons that is probably bad had fuel stabilizer in it.

Has anyone else had a performance hit this large from bad gas alone? It is not surging and the idle is not choppy. Could a clogged oil filter also be the cause?

+1
    My friends ski did the same..: only worse. Plugs were bad as well, it would misfire and backfire, thought is might be compression or a injector bad. Did all the checks and it was a set of bad plugs. We drained the old gas and changed them. Runs like a top

6. +1 by:

+1
    The old gas will run fine on a lawn mower. That's what uses all my old gas lol.

8. +1 by:

+1
    Oil over capacity can absolutely hinder performance. Not to mention, it can reak havoc on your air filter and intake.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    Oil over capacity can absolutely hinder performance. Not to mention, it can reak havoc on your air filter and intake.
    +1 Suck enough oil out till it is in the middle of the dipstick. Get the old gas out. Install new plugs.
    Probably a combo of all these things bringing down performance.

11. +1 by:

+1

What is the biggest decrease in performance you've seen from too much oil? The most I saw in posts here was 500 RPM. It seems as though its a combination of all of these things.

Thanks!! I wish I had time to try everything but I'm scrambling to leave for my senior trip. Hopefully Friday afternoon or Saturday I'll have time, if not as soon as I get back I'll let everyone know how it goes! I talked to the technician at a reputable dealer in town, he suspects fouled plugs from not being ran enough after the oil fog included on the 100 hour maintenance as well as possible clogged injectors. I only have an 8 gallon gas can for my mowers.... any suggestions on what to do with all of it??

If I can find the time I'll post results of the removed oil,new plugs, and a pic comparing the fuel in the tank to fresh fuel side-by-side in glass jars. Is their any way to tell if there is increased performance just on the trailer? We hit a cold snap and its not exactly riding weather down here anymore.

Thank you so much for the help everyone!!!!

13. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    +1 Suck enough oil out till it is in the middle of the dipstick. Get the old gas out. Install new plugs.
    Probably a combo of all these things bringing down performance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1462.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	353845

Here is a comparison to gas fresh from the same pump at the same station. I did add a bottle of injector cleaner when I filled it up but it was mostly clear(Lucas brand injector cleaner). For what its worth the gas does not smell bad (I did a single-blind experiment to determine the odors are indistinguishable.)

I am assuming the color is from the fuel stabilizer the previous owner added. However you guys would probably know better than me. I will probably drain the tank when I can get enough gas cans to hold it. Any suggestions for more was to check the gas?

+1
    Well, you are one of those Yamaha guys and for whatever reason they put a paper air filter in a PWC.....LOL!!!!!

16. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information