Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

New Member! 1200 Waverunner 2005 need help please

First of all, I maybe posting for the first time but I have been coming to this site to learn as much as I can about PWCs! This purchase is my second, it's a 2005 Yamaha 1200 XLT Waverunner with 197 hours on it. It looks great on the surface and, no, I didn't get to run it on the lake as I purchased it last week in Ontario. Thanks to all of the information on this site, I knew I wanted one that had the oil pump blocked, and I hoped it had a D-plate in it. The sensor wire was disconnected but that doesn't mean the plate is there does it!

i finally found the bypass sensor, I'm taking the exhaust apart enough to know that the D-plate is in there. I have also heard it running for 10 minutes and it starts up instantly and runs/sounds very good. When it is so cold out, it's hard to know if it is burning oil right now. I know the oil premix is set at 50:1 and I would be happier with 40:1 as I don't run it at 60 mph! It came with an excellent trailer and a new cover, the family was there to show me everything so I plunged in and bought it. Dumb right?

What is there that I should do to it to make it very reliable? I am trying to get a proper compression test done but the numbers are within 5 pounds, but low, so I want to wait to do a proper one and hope for higher numbers. Any advice on what I can do to this machine would be very much appreciated, thanks!

+1
    Hello and welcome to the Hulk. Congrats on your purchase. What is the current compression readings you are getting?

+1
    The first thing you better do is put Waveater clips on those power-valves.

Thanks for the warm welcome OzarkYamMonster!!

I did the compression as soon as I got it home, the engine was stone cold and the battery is out of a motorcycle so it didn't have the turn-over capacity. I got 100, 95 and just under 100 in the three cylinders. Because those numbers are low, I felt I needed to buy a new battery for it, get it on Friday, and, I would warm up the engine as we are below freezing around here. Naturally I wanted to see 120 across them all given they had switched to premix and the D-plate looks to be in there, but, the numbers are what they are for now. I'll post the numbers as soon as I have everything in place. Please tell me there is a chance that they will improve! Ha!

CCW - Now I have to find out what waveater clips are and whether they have already been done in this machine. Is there a fast way to know if the clips have been installed? I tell you, this machine is tight, I can barely get my hands in around all of that stuff. If there is a way to know about the power valves mod I would like to hear about it, thanks.

+1
    Best way to tell if clips are installed is to look at the installation instruction and check your ski so you know what you are looking for.

http://wave-eater.com/instructions/c...0cc-or-1300cc/

Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    Best way to tell if clips are installed is to look at the installation instruction and check your ski so you know what you are looking for.

http://wave-eater.com/instructions/c...0cc-or-1300cc/
    Hi CCW,

So here is a pic of my 1200 XLT Power Valve with the cover off:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Power Valve Yamaha 1200 XLT.png 
Views:	302 
Size:	531.2 KB 
ID:	353811

And here is a pic of a Greenhulk clip installation:

Name:	Greenhulk Pic of Clips.jpg 
Views:	475 
Size:	61.4 KB 
ID:	353812

Is it safe to say that my clips are in, maybe they are the old ones with the screws holding them in place? I just have to figure out how to crack the exhaust open and see if there is a D-Plate in there now and then off o the compression test. Thanks

+1
    You do not have WE clips installed. This is what the clips look like. Notice the hooked ends.

Name:	SD530489.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	353813

8. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    You do not have WE clips installed. This is what the clips look like. Notice the hooked ends.

Name:	SD530489.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	353813
    Well then, have you ever seen anything like this clip? If you look closely, it has a channel notched into it to guide the pin. I haven't seen one like this before while Googling the topic.

Name:	Power Valve Yamaha 1200 XLT B.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	334.1 KB 
ID:	353831

I wiped it out there and got the best pic that I could of the side of the clip. ???? The clip will go over this clip??

+1
    That is the power valve. The WE clips are used to keep the pins from backing out.

11. +1 by:

I got it now, I measured the distance to the top of the stem and the power valve hasn't rubbed against the piston yet so I'll order some clips ASAP! Great call there! Now back to trying to open up that exhaust to see if the D-Plate is there. Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information